NOD32 v4 memory usage

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by espguitarguy232, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. espguitarguy232

espguitarguy232 Registered Member

Just went from version 3 to 4 recently and i have noticed that my memory usage under ekrn.exe tends to just build on itself and not go back to idle, which is around 45000K on startup. Version 3 seemed to use just slightly less memory but i do no recall the memory just stacking up, sometimes up to 70000 or 80000k. I am running XP and is this how this is supposed to run?

2. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

I think it might give it back eventually. I was watching memory switching between text and gui mode and noticed it increased on every switch, striking me as a memory leak. Then I noticed after a while, it gave it all back.

I'm guessing it has something to do with garbage collection, a term used to describe the operating system reclaiming released memory when it's ready.

I could be wrong of course but this would explain the 4kb increments switching between gui and text mode. If you hold CTRL+G down, memory keeps going up but after a few minutes it goes back to normal, which is 3KB for egui and 44kb for ekrn.exe.

3. espguitarguy232

Thanks for your reply.I have given it a while and the memory stacking seems to persist. I do not know if it is scanning downloads and not freeing up memory after it is done or what. Any ideas?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello espguitarguy232,

You might want to give a complete description of your computer. Operating system, other security programs you are using, and so on.

5. espguitarguy232

I am running XP 32bit service pack 3. Hardware is as follows...

Intel dual core 2160 1.8ghz oc'd to 3.0ghz
    BFG nforce 650i Ultra mobo
    8800gts 512mb video card
    2 gigs OCZ ram

All drivers are up to date and Nod32 is the only security i have ever run on my comp. I use firefox as my default browser. If this issue is not solvable could i use my new license which I got with v4 on v3 and rollback to that? Im getting a little tired of feeling like i need to reboot to free up memory in order to play games to their full potential. Thanks for your help.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can do that.

7. crutter

crutter Registered Member

I've got a similar problem to this, but using NOD32 v3 on an exchange server. NOD32's memory usage is constantly increasing. At the moment, it's upto 1.5Gb. Any suggestions on how I can find out why it's doing it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.