NOD32 V4 Major issue

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by TOCS, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

As a reseller who has sold 1000's of licenses can you (eset) please stop attacking Maxsecure's Spyware Detector Program. It would also be great if you could also stop blocking their website. All this was bought about alittle while back when Spyware Detector deleted NOD32, they fixed the issue within a few hours yet Eset seem to still be so childish as to hold a grudge.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I am not aware of the issue you are reporting, so let's gather some information so we can investigate your report of a false positive alarm:
    1. Build of ESET NOD32 Antivirus?
    2. Version number of virus signature database?
    3. Name of detected threat(s)?
    4. Name of files and/or URLs of web sites in which threat was detected? (please obfuscate protocol handlers by replacing hTTp with hXXp, just in case)
    Providing that information will be helpful in resolving the issue in a speedy fashion.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Even Firefoxes WOT rating system blocks that site. :doubt:
    hmmmmm

4. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

1. Build is 4.0.314.0
    2. Version is 4251 (20090716)
    3. C:\Program Files\SpywareDetector\LiveUpdate.exe - probably a variant of Win32/Genetik trojan - cleaned by deleting - quarantined
    4. {snip}, {snip}, {snip}

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET's virus lab has been notified. Thank you for your report.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

Thanks for you prompt reply, will they notify us with their result/fix?

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

There is quite a few people reporting that site as rouge security software. Perhaps you need to take a closer look at it.

8. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

Hi Johnny.

Here at Time Out! Computers we have been selling MaxSecure's Spyware Detector along with NOD32 for more than 5 years now. It has been the best Spyware/Malware protection we have been able to find and with NOD32 make up an awesome protection package that we have not been able to fault as per lack of pressure put on the CPU and doing their job faultlessly. The only problem we have had is NOD32's continual quarantining and blocking of Spyware Detector and their site. We sell and renew 60 to 70 Spyware Detector a month along with even more than that of NOD32. We need this to stop as it is costing me more than the revenue I am making, in support of this continual problem.

Maybe you need to take a closer look at it... I have done my due diligence.

Ross Bladin
    Managing Director
    Time Out! Computers Australia.

9. danieln

danieln Eset Staff

This is how the software behaves on the clean computer:
    spywaredetector.PNG

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Plus it detects batch files I have on the disk as well as a famous file manager. I've read a review where it detected Zone Alarm files (haven't tested yet). Not to mention the way it's designed which highly resembles rogue AVs. We'll give it one more check, but I doubt that detection will be removed as its behavior seems to be unwanted by users.

11. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

You are joking right?? You have not registered the program you are "Testing and slagging" so how can you even comment?
    Register the program and show me what it has found then we will talk.
    I'll bet it is only tracking cookies.

Ross Bladin
    Managing Director

12. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

We are still waiting for answer to this problem. We have over 1000 clients using NOD32 and Spyware Detector together and have been for years.
    We submit our false positives to you and you use it against us by blocking more sites for downloading Spyware Detector.
    Will someone please tell me what the hell is going on. I don’t care if there are users out there that don’t like Spyware detector, that is fine everyone has their own opinion and they don’t have to use it if they don’t want to, we are certainly not forcing them to.
    Either fix this up or explain to me why Eset have the need to make my life hell.

Ross Bladin
    Managing Director

13. stratoc

stratoc Guest

it was on spyware warrior's rogue list for ages, it has now been removed. but a quick check with any site checker will point to at least greyware, and these are generally made up from users.
    so if you have nod 32 set to detect potentially harmful software and it does this is hardly a major issue from eset's point of view. Where does one draw the line, all security programs are out to get peoples money, they are businesses and if you check the history of a lot of anti spyware programs they have a murky past.
    call it a in-compatibilty maybe, but i would not be happy if nod 32 didn't detect it as potentially dangerous, as pretty much the rest of the security industry seems to.

14. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

I don’t know how many times I have to keep saying this. We have been selling SD for over 5 years now. It has bought many spyware infected computers back to life over those 5 years. We have over 1000 customers using it, a lot of them corporations. We sell\renew over 100 per month. We use it alongside NOD32 on all our computers and servers and have done for over 5 years. So I don’t need any sermons for those of you who believe everything written in forums. I mean lets face it, there are still millions out there using NORTONS, god help them.
    All I need is for an explanation as to why from the people who write this program. And if SD has been a problem for years why is ESET only just doing this now?
    The only problem we have had with SD is Eset/NOD32 attacking it.

Ross Bladin
    Managing Director

15. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Ross,

I did some searching on this Spyware Detector product and I'm not going to post the links because anybody can google it and get the same results. I could not find hardly anything positive about this product. Most of the reviews/comments I read were from years 2005-2007. PC Mag from Dec 06 gave it a bad review stating it can't remove spyware and has little protection . Several forum comments that I read and a few recent ones too were negative or skeptical at the least, nothing good. It was on Spyware Warriors list of rouge security products. From what I have read this has been a rouge security product or at the very least a poor security application for the past several years. It may not be rouge now, but I don't know. If it is not rouge now then I would say that SD has an uphill battle to gain a reputation as being a legitimate security application. I am trying not to call into question your integrity but, after doing a little reading about this product it is obvious you are in the minority from what I have seen on your opinion of this product. I doubt very likely that you will convince ESET or the security conscious members of this forum to the contrary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  16. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

I do not want to keep beating the same drum over and over. But I am not interested in other people’s thoughts on this, especially from 2 to 3 years ago. I am interested in Eset's thoughts on why they are blocking the site. If they can show me or give me a reason why they are blocking the web address’s for SD I will concede defeat.
    The personal opinions of the readers of this forum that do not even use this product are of no concern to me.
    Many years ago I started selling an antivirus product no-body here in Australia had even heard of called NOD32. I was told I was nuts and that nothing was better than Norton’s or Kaspersky. Look at NOD32 now. So sorry personal opinions do not weigh well with me.

But as I said. If/when the Eset team get back to me to tell me why they have "good reason" to block these sites I will have to make a few decisions. Otherwise they need to stop the blocking of the SD download and information pages ASAP.

Ross Bladin
    Managing Director

17. danieln

danieln Eset Staff

The question was already answered.
    It has flawed detection with extremely high false positive ratio. After it scares a user it suggest him to to order a paid version.

18. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Well they may not matter to you but they do to ESET, this is their forum. Like Marcos said
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  19. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Maybe you should talk to the Customer services at Eset, and especially as a reseller, direct instead of objecting when others don't agree with your songs of praise about some 3rd party product that may or may not have value for the users. Eset also knows that users will come as tons of bricks on them if the software that acts as spyware is not detected and blocked. Their software is here to protect the users of this forum and not some vested interests of resellers selling other wares.

20. rpradhan

rpradhan Registered Member

Hello,
    Max Secure Software is a Windows security product company providing innovative security and Privacy related products, having more that million customer base working towards the goal of removing Spyware from users pc for the last 7 years. Our anti-spyware product can be downloaded from: maxpcsecure.com/spywaredetector.exe and Registry optimization product from: maxpcsecure.com/maxregistrycleaner.exe . We have a long list of customer testimonials who are happily using our products for the last several years, many affiliates who have reviewed our products, found them Spyware free, awarded 5-Star ratings and successfully promoting it. Spyware Detector is a world class product having very superior Spyware detection and removal statistics along with rootkit and heuristically detection capability.
    This detection by Eset nod is definitely a FALSE positive on your end and must be removed immediately. We would also like to know the reason for putting it in there. No other anti-virus or anti-spwyare or virustotal catches our products. Just because spyware warrior made a mistake in 2005 and cnet reviews were not good in 2006 does not mean it is a Fake or Trojan or Spyware. Have they reviewed it since.
    It is an excellent antispyware product , very light weight and having fastest scanner in the world.
    I am attaching eset snapshot for your review.
    If you have any questions, do not hesitate to drop me an email or call.
    Regards,
    Rachna Pradhan

Attached Files:

• eset.jpg
      eset.jpg
      File size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
  21. grndady

grndady Registered Member

First, Smart Sec. blocked my SP downloaded upgrade files.

Now, as you see from the Max Secure rep., you can't even get to the website because of ESET.

Spyware Detector has SAVED my system almost 10 times in the past 2 years. Especially the malware that re-routes Google searches from the clicked on URL to an unasked for site.

ALSO, malware had made my XP Pro SP 3 system UNABLE to run Checkdisk upon re-boot. SPYWARE DETECTOR FIXED THAT, TOO!

IF THIS ISN'T UNBLOCKED. I'M DUMPING ESET.

MAX SECURE HAS FOUND MANY, MANY MORE THREATS THAN MY ESET.

As for the TRIAL SCAN mentioned above, I also agree with the guy who said it was probably referencing TRACKING COOKIES!

Get it straight, or GOODBYE ESET!

22. stratoc

stratoc Guest

so there's no functional trial as such, it does a scan then you pay to remove? i wonder how many clean systems it finds? :D

23. smiffy6four

smiffy6four Registered Member

How about going into the settings of NOD and adding the path for your SD program to the Exclusions under Antivirus & Spyware?

I use SpyBot on all the PC's that come through my shop, and I simply add C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy to the list of exclusions and then NOD leaves it alone.

You can also specify which addresses to ignore under Web Access Protection and add any addresses you like under "List of addresses excluded from filtering"

24. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

Number one .. I shouldn't have to.
    Number two .. As I have said many times, I have over a 1000 of these out there, many of the clients do not to have to make changes to configuration, which is why I am their computer support. That is fine for the computers that leave my workshop.

25. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

Thankyou.
    See we don't all agree !!
    And Eset themselves have still not come back with an answer.

Dont get me wrong.. I love NOD32 .. That is why I am fighting so hard for this. I dont want to have to move away from either product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.