Nod32 v4 beta and Windows Mail....

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by GAN, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I use Nod32 v4. Beta and Windows Mail for a POP account. Today i received a mail, but it seems like nod32 corrupted the mail. When i look in the inbox i can see the correct address in the "From" column and the correct subject in the "Subject" column. When i open the mail the "From", "To" and "Subject" fields are empty so the "From" field says "Sender Unspecified", "To" says "None" and "Subject" says "(no subject)". The body of the mail only contains the line "--Boundary_(ID_hwq1c1Ud9JrWw8S+OMbblA)--".

Also if i check the header of the mail it contains about 6700 lines like shown below (this is the last 10 lines only):

Code:
    MCBuIA0wMDAwMzEwMTU4IDAwMDAwIG4gDTAwMDAwMDAyOTcgMDAwMDAgbiAN
    MDAwMDE1MTg5OCAwMDAwMCBuIA0wMDAwMDAwMDE5IDAwMDAwIG4gDTAwMDAw
    MDAyNzcgMDAwMDAgbiANMDAwMDE1MjA5MSAwMDAwMCBuIA0wMDAwMjQyOTY2
    IDAwMDAwIG4gDTAwMDAxNTE5MjAgMDAwMDAgbiANMDAwMDE1MjA3MiAwMDAw
    MCBuIA0wMDAwMjQzMTU5IDAwMDAwIG4gDTAwMDAzMDg3MTQgMDAwMDAgbiAN
    MDAwMDI0Mjk4OCAwMDAwMCBuIA0wMDAwMjQzMTQwIDAwMDAwIG4gDTAwMDAz
    MDg3MzYgMDAwMDAgbiANMDAwMDMwODg1MiAwMDAwMCBuIA10cmFpbGVyDTw8
    DS9TaXplIDIyDS9Sb290IDMgMCBSDS9JbmZvIDEgMCBSDS9JRCBbPDEwMTY4
    Y2M5YWRmMDJjZDI0MDM0ZmJmMzI1NTA2OWVhPjwxMDE2OGNjOWFkZjAyY2Qy
    NDAzNGZiZjMyNTUwNjllYT5dDT4+DXN0YXJ0eHJlZg0zMTEwMzANJSVFT0YN
    X-EsetScannerBuild: 4156
    The last line says "X-EsetScannerBuild: 4156" so i assume that nod32 is the reason why the mail is corrupted. I downloaded the mail on another computer not running nod32 and the mail looks fine on that computer. So this is only a problem on the computer running nod32 v4 beta. It's the first time i seen this problem, but i don't use the POP account a lot so don't receive a lot of mails to this account.

Is this a known problem with the nod32 beta? Is there any more info i can provide to help finding the reason why this happened?

btw i use Windows Vista Enterprise (x64) with SP1.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Please save a copy of the message from both computer's email programs and email them as attachments in a .ZIP or .RAR file to betasupport@eset.sk with a link to this message thread. Thank you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Thanks, i sent a mail with the requested info and some additional info.

Regards
    gan

4. wingfan1991

wingfan1991 Registered Member

i have the exact same problem, using vista 64 sp1 too and windows mail. this only happens with attachments (jpgs), and does not happen to every mail with these attachments. it is random for some reason.

5. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I have seen this happen with PDF's more then once so i guess the bug might apply to attachments in general. Don't know why this happen sometimes and not heard anything from eset. Hopefully it will be fixed soon and a new beta will be released in the close future. Because of this issue and some others i found i switched back to version 3 again until solved, but i think version 4 look promising.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If someone can replicate the issue easily, could you check if email is received fine after disabling POP3 scanning or integration with the email client?

7. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I never tried to disable POP3 scanning, but i did disable the email integration for Windows mail that solved the problem. So it seems to occur when email integration for Windows mail is enabled. Using outlook 2007 with email integration enabled seems to work just fine so it seems to only happen with windows mail and the email integration.

Also i sent a mail to betasupport@eset.sk as requested about two weeks ago where i included the corrupted mail and an example of the same mail from outlook 2007 where it looks just fine. I also tried sending several mails with different pdf's attached to my own account and managed to easily replicate the problem so i think this is easy to replicate for the eset staff as well.

Unfortunately i no longer have nod32 v4 installed since i had several issues so had to revert back to v3. When i sent the bug report i did not receive any feedback from eset and no questions for further information or testing so i decided to revert back to v3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.