Nod32 v4 and slow simultaneously downloads

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by GAN, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GAN

GAN Registered Member

If i start a download of a large file it seems to work fine, but when i start two or more simultaneously downloads of large files it seems like the download speed might drop a lot or even stop completely for some of them. I always use a internet connection that is 20mbit or higher so i'm not sure if this could be related to the problem where nod32 v4 cannot handle when data is being received too fast.

It's hard to explain exactly the behavior because it vary a bit, but i can provide one example. If i start a download that is downloading at approximately 2.5mbyte/s (20mbit/s) then it's running fine and the speed is pretty constant. If i then start two more downloads (three simultaneously) then the first might drop a lot like 100kbyte/s while the second might almost stop completely and the third maybe 200kbyte/s. Sometimes the speed of one of them might increased for some seconds and then drop again. The total download speed is pretty much lower compared to when i download a single file and wait with the second file until the first is done. Basically if i want to download some files and download one at a time and i'm able to download all of them in 10 minutes then it will take much longer if i start all of the simultaneously. I realize it's normal that each will drop when i start more then one download, but not like this. This is not normal behavior. If i uninstall nod32 v4 the behavior is normal again. I also monitor the bandwidth usage on the network equipment so i can easily see that the bandwidth usage is much lower when starting several simultaneously downloads. Also when some of the downloads finish it seem like those left will keep downloading at the same slow speed.

I use Nod32 v4.0.314 and Windows Vista Enterprise (x64) with SP1. I tried the download test using IE7 or IE8 which is the same behavior. If i disable the http scanning it seems to work normal, but i only tried this once so have to test some more to make sure. Uninstall nod32 for sure solve the problem.
    I read some posts here where the downloads seems to stop at the end while the realtime scanner scan the file, but this is not the problem i'm referring to.

I would really appreciate a reply from Eset whether they see the same behavior, alreay know about the problem or if they are unable to see the same problem. If more information is require then please me know. Also it would be interesting to hear if other users see the same kind of behavior, but please keep this thread to this problem only and not all other kind of nod32 problems.

2. pondlife152

pondlife152 Registered Member

Just tried this and downloads seem okay on my system, although I'm only on 10mbit/s.

Tried 3 large(ish) downloads simultaneously, 2 from Microsoft, one from download.cnet.com. The two from MS held at about 420KB/s & 430KB/s and the one from cnet at about 300KB/s.

Running Vista 32bit SP1, IE8, NOD32 4.0.314.0.

3. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I can test som further. I tried from Microsoft and rapidshare (using a premium account of course). There could be some other problems and not Nod32. If no one else have the same problem i guess there must be some other problem. I used another antivirus on this computer and had no problem until i installed nod32 v4, but might be something else that is causing this problem. It's hard to tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.