NOD32 v3 Suggestion

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by codpet, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codpet

codpet Registered Member

I was looking at a competitors website (bitdefender) and noted something it can do that's very cool.

I'll just copy and paste:
    "The product is able to repair itself, if necessary, by downloading the damaged or missing files from BitDefender servers."

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I just wonder how it repairs itself if the main component responsible for updates gets corrupted. The most secure way to repair a program is its manual reinstallation.

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

That brings up another suggestion. What if NOD was able to detect it was corrupt and have an installation file repairing it, just like a manual reinstallation? (Having the same settings as before - just reinstalling the files.)

4. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

very cool but unnecessary feature (for now). :D

5. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

It would be both safer and more efficient to implement a self-protection mechanism that prevents files/rgistry keys to be modified by other (potentially malicious) processes. So you wouldn't have to replace them ;)... And in case something gets corrupt, yes, nothing better than to reinstall (although I guess the program could detect this and launch a "repair" install from the .msi file, but I agree it's a very "low priority" idea)

6. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Yeah I agree. I think the the need for something like this is very low priority. I used to use BitDefender and that was one of the first things I read about it. Seeing as I haven't seen such a feature anywhere else then I seem to think it's just some cheesy marketing idea that probably doesn't work anyway!

7. codpet

codpet Registered Member

I don't know.. just sounded cool. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.