nod32 v3 scan only a special folder

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by freemannnn, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freemannnn

freemannnn Registered Member

i has disable my nod32 to scan "local drives" because i think it slowing down my computer. how can i configure to scan only my download folder that is where i put downloaded files from internet?

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I don't think it's possible to set the default to not scan anything and then make an exceptions to only scan a single folder (assuming you talk about the real time scanning?). You could add every folder on your root (subdirs included) to be excluded except one where you download your stuff. Also you could disable the real time scanning and use a download manager like internet download manager where you can specify that every downloaded file should be scanned using nod32 or scan files manually using the context menu option.

I would not recommend doing such a thing since that would make you very vulnerable. Some files might be packed and when you run whatever you have downloaded the infected files could be extracted to somewhere else like your windows folder and then be started or added to start when you reboot. In that case nod32 won't stop the infection because you do not scan the windows folder. I would at least recommend protecting the windows folder. You could also be infected by rootkits, trojans, worms and virus when browsing using internet explorer or another browser. In that case scanning only the download folder won't do you any good. In addition you could get infected by mail, using a USB stick that is infected and stuff like that.
    I find it strange that nod32 slow down your system since nod32 is the av software i found that use least resources and few others are even close. Neither have i ever noticed that nod32 slowed down my computer.

You could also consider using nod32 2.7 that i find to use less resources then 3.0 and also a bit faster since that is very important to you. You could also change some of your settings to speed up nod32 like only scan when files are created, turn off advanced heuristics and some other parameters as well. All the settings that make it faster will also most likely make you more vulnerable, but i think anything is better then not scanning anything except your download folder. In that case you could use it "on demand" only, but i think that would be a huge risk.

I still use 2.7 since i find it to be superior compared to 3.0. The only thing that 3.0 does better is to clean when you are infected (at least that's what i been told, but never been infected so cannot tell for sure). Except from that i cannot find anything that is better with 3.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.