NOD32 v3 or v4?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by berryracer, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Which one do your reckon is better and why?

I am currently using v4 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

but would like to know if I should switch to v3?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Switch to 3? No. V4 as better rootkit and trojan detection as well as better cleanup. It also runs faster than 3 did on my old rig. It's just beter overall in my opinion.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

V4 with the whirling eye wasn't faster for me, especially at startup. I had to sit through the scan which was painfully slow. I reverted back to v3. I'm using Win XP.

4. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

never used v3, but v4 scans email noticebly slower than v2. When I had real time scanning turned on it also completely crippled windows update. I am going to test v2 real time scanning on another machine next month on windows update to see how that compares.

5. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

whats the problem ? who scans files directly from microsoft for viruses ? And who by now doesn't get it to temporarily disable antivirus during windows update or service pack install ? It's common sense ! I get people complaining all the time that their PC game that spans 3 cd's never install right on their computer, I have to do it for them and make sure antivirus is disabled before doing it and it works no problem.... whats the story here ? why are you still leaving on your antivirus during these actions,when it's been known for the last 15 years, to turn it off temporarily while doing so.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  6. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

the thing is, is it right to need to manually turn something on and off everytime you patch the operating system?

seems a better approach would be for eset to automatically exclude windows update files as reccomended by microsoft here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

I have no idea if that will help as I only just discovered the web link but will see next month when I run windows update.

7. e36

e36 Registered Member

I had freezing problems (on two Vista Home Premium systems) with V4 and had to revert to V3.

I tried working with ESET by submitting the information they requested until I realized I was spending way too much time trying to fix 'their' software.

8. Proactive Services

Proactive Services Registered Member

It's not right to need to manually turn off the AV. Which would explain why you don't have to if using NOD32. I've installed hundreds of large games and other applications and many more patches and service packs with AV enabled on over 500 clients with all the different hardware and software of the rainbow and they've always worked perfectly.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

version 4 by all means. Anything else is poppy-****.;)

10. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

v4 works fine and does a better job at keeping the few users that have admin rights on their desktop from killing off the AV service. Gets my vote.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I said this once and I will say it again. Eset is not on top and that is not what they want. I have no qualms in saying they will do what is right, to get this right. I actually expect for them to maintain a lean and mean suite while enhancing their protection. It kills me, 98 percent of the folks I know dont care about parental control when there is OpenDNS, dont care about if their browser settings are right, dont care about what most vendors are wasting their time on. HIPS, yes at least some type of. All they really care about is, Keep my computer safe and keep your mouth shut.:cool:

12. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

V3 kept me from installing some winupdates last year. I disabled checking of potentially unwanted and unsafe applications and never had any more problems with winupdate after I did that. Ever since then I have kept that function turned off.

13. ccomputertek

While it is not mandatory to temporarily disable anti-virus during a huge install or for important things like service packs, due to just the nature of the way anti-virus programs work and how they can interfere with those processes, it is what I call " good practice " to temporarily disable at those times.

And to stick to the topic, I'm going to have to say NOD32 3.0, I have tried 4.0 and had no problems with it at all, but I just like 3.0 better and think 4.0 needs to mature a little bit more, But I will stay with 3.0 until they discontinue or start to make updates that no longer support earlier versions of NOD, which I hope they never do and they keep the program updates somewhat unified.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  14. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Anyone tried the new V4 build on a server?

15. SmackyTheFrog

I run it on Exchange, a few major Oracle DB servers, and a few other infrastructure servers like WSUS and terminal services without a problem. I'm still upgrading from v3 and will do the DCs last, but no problems so far.

16. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

It's the 4.0.667 I was meaning, not V4 in general. I was curious if the people experiencing problems with V4 on servers had tried 4.0.667.

Jim

17. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

what I am curious about is what exactly is different between v2 and v3 and v4.

I get told v2 doesnt detect everything and that seems quite vague.

Even on the official website I see no comparison page for it.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The only difference between v3 and v4 that is obvious is the scan on boot up in v4. That little eye in the System tray icon whirls around for quite a long time before the scan is finally over and I can do something. Is there a way to eliminate that scan? I can't find a way looking at the advanced setup screen.:p

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Tools->Scheduler Did you try unchecking 'Automatic startup file check'?
    However, this may not be recommended.

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'll check that out. Thanks for your input. :)

21. guest

guest Guest

I would believe that is the new function where NOD32 checks if you have all windows updates installed. Of course you can disable this somewhere. I just don't have it installed so can't help to find it.

22. SmackyTheFrog

Better integration in to the network stack on Vista/Win7, better self-protection to keep malicious stuff from removing/crippling your AV, improved rootkit detection. Saying it is just gui facelift is a painfully stupid over-simplification. If the systray icon bothers you so much, why don't you just tell Windows to autohide it?

23. Stoner81

Stoner81 Registered Member

Personally I like v4 now that I have tweaked it a lot and saved my settings in a xml file seperately. The startup scan and the scan after a db update is annoying so that got disabled. I also run SpywareBlaster, MalwareBytes and Spybot (ESS is the one in real time though). So got pretty good security I think there. It would be good to have some HIPS protection included (one reason why I like Outpost) I would also like a more configurable firewall similar to that of Outpost.

Overall though quite happy however, I would have preferred them to keep the GUI from v2 (was so much easier) and it is also a lot faster in general but hey you can't have everything :p

Peace!

Stoner81.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Apparently you don't retain what you read. I said "The only difference between v3 and v4 that is OBVIOUS is the scan on bootup in v4". I didn't even say it is just a GUI facelift. What bothers me is the 2 minute scan just after the icon appears, and I was just asking if anyone had a remedy. Other than that, I think v4 is smokin'. :(

25. ccomputertek

You can change what files are scanned on the startup scan schedule task, simply change that around to something other than what it's set for, or if you know your system is clean, then zap that task all together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.