NOD32 v3 and Outlook Express Integration

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by PaulB2005, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Updated to NOD32 v3 - seems OK except Outlook Express has problems with the E-Mail Client Integration. I have to go in Advanced Setup, Miscellaneous, E-Mail Client Integration and turn off Integrate into Outlook Express / Windows Mail to use OE.

If i don't turn Integration OFF then upon opening OE the splash screen flashes past and then the PC goes "bing" and nothing happens. Sometimes msimn.exe (Outlook Express) is running in the background, sometimes it isn't. Subsequent attempts to open OE result in the same until eventually OE decides to work - SLOWLY. Even closing OE can become a long drawn out affair. On one occasion i was bombarded with the old "This program has crashes. Do you wish to inform MS?" until i rebooted the PC.

I have a 2nd PC with a trial version of NOD32 v3 running which doesn't produce the same problem.

Anyone else getting this?

2. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Hi PaulB2005,
    i can only sympathize, i reported this problem to NOD32 Beta Support and they released it anyway, bugs and all.
    I installed the final release on a freshly installed XP Pro System (Again) and again i got exactly what you describe to the word !
    I am now sticking with version 2.7.39 for the foreseeable until they get their act together. The RC1 release works flawlessly however.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  3. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Have you tried uninstalling Outlook Express and re-installing it again after a restart?
    Your second PC is ok, so....I would try that.

4. PaulB2005

Now it's started on the other PC after i changed a setting.

It was

Advanced Settings, Email protection, ThreatSense Engine Parameter Setup -> Setup button -> Options -> Tick Potentially Unsafe Applications.

Even uninstalled and reinstalled NOD32 v3 on this PC and didn't change any settings on re-installation - still occurs.

Curse my impatience.

5. poutine

Youre not the first, if you can live with the bugs for a few days im sure theyll sort it out. Luckily i imaged my drive a couple days back so i could avoid these pitfalls. :D

6. PaulB2005

I can by disabling OE Integration - i know i'm not any less defended in any real sense (All but the very most trusted attachements are deleted on my ISP Server) but i don't like the bug.

Also difficult to recommened v3 to others.....

Cheers poutine for confirming it's not just me.... :thumb:

7. poutine

you're welcome.
    just out of interest what happens if you deselect "Tick Potentially Unsafe Applications" ?? Does O.E work ok then ?

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This issue will be addressed soon in one of the following installers.

9. PaulB2005

Does this mean i have to reinstall NOD32 or will it be as an update through the program?

Undoing the change that seems to start the problem it doesn't fix anything. Even re-installing and using the defaults doesn't fix it. Hopefully the "fixed" version will also fix this.....

10. Steel

Steel Registered Member

Is the following problem already well-known, or is it only with me the case? With the V3 - EAV it always needs some time, if I change attitudes within the program.

Thus, if I change attitudes, afterwards on ok click, it needs some time to this attitude one takes over. Within this time nothing additional can be made at the program. It's like freezing for that time.

Understandably?

11. poutine

Thank you for the confirmation Marcos, much appreciated.

12. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Same problem here, and frequently a application error from msimn and comctl32.dll

13. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Newest version installed?

14. Number99

Number99 Registered Member

Exactly what I´m getting as well. And I have ESS 3.0.551 installed.

15. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Nope, waiting a reply in the topic "This version"
    If it's the same, I’ll pass with this version.

16. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Good to hear that. :D
    Are you aware of this issue too ?

17. PaulB2005

Now on 3.0.563.0 - "Outlook Express > *bing* > Nothing Happened" problem happened twice today.

Not as bad as it was but still happens.....

18. poutine

Hi again PaulB2005 :)
    yeh it was driving me insane to. Unfortunately it is nearly as bad in this version !! Just wait til you run something demanding before Opening O.E. "BING" BING"
    Couldnt stand V.3 anymore so ive gone back to 2.7 so i can at least do some serious work without the :'(

Why cant they see that there were none of the OE crashes in the RC1 and work from there. ??
    Having said that the integration is awful anyway compared to 2.7's.

19. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I have the same intermittent *bing* issue with 3.0.563 when opening OE...

Click to open OE > *bing* > OE does not open > click to open OE again > OE opens fine and from what I can tell everything in OE including the NOD v3 scan module seems to work ok. The problem will not happen again if I close OE and open it soon thereafter but then hours later the *bing* issue may show up all over again.

This is more of an annoyance since I don't seem to have any functionality problems and all I have to do is re-open OE after the *bing* occurs and all is ok. If this is a common bug for some others then I have to assume that it is a NOD v3 issue and not an issue related to v3 getting along with my other security programs that I am using.

I have experienced some other quirky behavior besides this issue but it is difficult to determine if they are compatibility issues with v3 and other security programs I am running or if they are general common v3 issues. I am using XP Pro SP2 on this system that is having these problems. I have v3.0.560 running on another system using XP Home SP2 with a little different set of other security software and it does not seem to be experiencing the same problems so I these issues must effect some systems but not others.

Besides the OE *bing* issue there are some other quirks that I have been experiencing on my main desktop system after installing v3.0.563. My browsers (IE 7 and FF 2.0.0.9) apparently are not holding passwords for web sites. For example....I have had to re-log on here five times in order to post some changes while writing this post. With all sites requiring a log on I keep getting requests to login again with a password even though the page shows I am in fact logged in. Even though I am supposedly logged in I am prevented from seeing content from another page on that site and I get the web site request that asks me to be log in again. This problem sometimes goes away once in a while but then comes back suddenly.

UPDATE: I seem to have resolved the above browser password login issue by changing (lowering) the privacy configuration settings (allowing all cookies, mobile code, private headers, etc.) in my ZASS firewall (AV turned off) for those particular web sites (and ALL the related links on those sites) that require a login. There might have been an incompatibility after installing NOD v3 with particular ZASS privacy settings that did not exist before with NOD v2.7. I had no problems with the previous settings while using NOD v2.7. I am not certain if the screen saver login lockup issue below is also related to ZASS program settings after installing NOD v3 but it might be.

I am also experiencing a system freeze and lockup after the screen saver deactivates and returns to the secure login screen. I have this set under the XP display settings and if do not enable the login after return from screen saver I don't have this system lockup problem. Because I am still trying to determine if these are compatibility issues with my other security software I have not made official posts about them. I have been trying to work around these and other issues when using v3 and I have had some minor success after changing various program configurations. Hopefully many of these compatibility quirks and other issues with NOD v3 will be gradually worked out in the future releases.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.