NOD32 V3.0.566.0 wont let Server Shutdown

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Doug5, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug5

Doug5 Registered Member

Hi,

After reading all the mixed reviews about NOD32 v3, I decided to try it out myself and install it on my Windows 2003 Server. At first, everything seemed fine. I can honestly say that I did not notice all the complaints about slowdowns. I actually went a few days without noticing any problems or conflicts.

Then, I started noticing that my Windows Backups were failing. The built-in NTBACKUP.EXE that comes with Windows was failing to start.

Then I attempted to restart the pc by going to the Start menu on the task bar and selecting SHUTDOWN. That's when I noticed the second problem. SHUTDOWN no longer worked! In fact, it causes the entire windows taskbar to lock up and you can no longer click on the Start button or any system tray applications running including NOD32.

After uninstalling NOD32 V3, both the Windows Backup and the WIndows SHUTDOWN option started working again.

I hope ESET can fix this... I liked the program otherwise.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Use v 2.70.39 until some new versions are released (don't forget to not install IMON in v2)
    I personally still install v2 EE for corporate clients until some time passes . V3 just for home users

3. Doug5

Doug5 Registered Member

I certainly hope that ESET reconsiders some manually way of shutting down the ekrn.exe service. It is ridiculous that they provide no options to shut it down for fear of a virus attempting to it shut it down.

They have options that they could implement to workaround this:
    A. A setting in the setup options to allow/disallow service shutdown.
    B. A pop-up message that requests the user security password to close the service. This would definitely circumvent any concerns that an antivirus would try to answer the pop up window to shut it down.

As it currently stands, bugs/conflicts with their software force technicians to have to completely remove the product to get around problems like the one I encountered.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You can manually disable ESET service by :

1. Open Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Services
    Find ESET service , right click it , choose "Properties" , choose Disable

2. In Administrative tools -> Services
    Find ESET service , right click it , choose "Stop"

3. Open Task manager , end task ekrn.exe

When your problem is gone , don't forget to set ESET's service back again to Automatic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.