NOD32 V2 Install Revisited

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by geekboy2000, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekboy2000

geekboy2000 Registered Member

1) Downloaded the most recent v2 trial from site.
    2) Forced to set up update parameters later, as no username/pw is provided.
    3) Enabled AMON and IMON
    4) Discovered that I had no internet connectivity via IE, and that SpamPal reported any POP3 port as being in use or unavailable.
    5) Went to IMON settings and "reconfigured" via the button/option that is apparently supposed to re-discover your setup.
    6) Re-booted
    7) Same network connectivity issues.
    :cool: Uninstalled
    9) XP hung at shutdown screen

After my very brief experience above, I very quickly went back to AVG7, and likely won't revisit NOD32 again until 3.0. I did run LSPFIX, and found that at least the uninstall had correctly removed any Winsock related changes it had made.

IMO, this app has a long way to go. In theory, it's great. Low on resources, ability to scan e-mail, etc, but it really doesn't seem to be quite ready yet. But, having said that, I do have hopes that it will improve, and will try it again in the future.

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I'm sad to here of your troubles mate, but if this app isn't yet ready then how come so many people use it very happily with no conflicts or problems? I suggest it points at something installed on your pc or some odd hardware configuration that is causing the problem.

See you again soon (v3.00) :)

3. geekboy2000

geekboy2000 Registered Member

As you know, with software, there are a lot of variables. I'm sure the author's goal is to make it as compatible as possible, under as many different circumstances as possible. But, this installation of NOD32 was on a nearly totally clean install of XP Pro SP1. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that an A/V app have to be installed on a clean box in order for it to work. Still, my XP install is very nearly new.
    My previous trial, on another install/drive of XP, produced very similar results. You're right though, it *does* work for most people. The posts on this forum indicate that there are quite a few issues yet to be resolved, and quite a few people who have less than a good experience with it. I expect/hope it will get better with time.

4. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

I think that the problem is SpamPal, NOD is incompatible with many anti-spam programs.
    Try to uninstall them and probe.

5. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

You are very right GeekBoy, it should work on a clean(ish) install of XP (or any chosen and supported os) but alas it doesn't seem to.

I imagine it the majority of problems encountered by everyone with all sorts of antivirus programmes is because they do,by their nature, have to access every file in use! a tricky situation I think you'll agree!

I do hope you return to Nod32 my friend, when you get it working ok it really is a superb product.

Take care

:)
    Kev

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

check how NOD's configured to connect ie dial-up, lan etc make sure the method you use to connect to internet is selected

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why don't you just run it without IMON ? IMON is the cause of 90% of the problems. You don't need IMON. AV's that scan email always cause tons of problems. All unnecessary. Don't use IMON. I don't. I had tons of trouble in the first version with the email scanner. Any email scanner from all avs I have tried is not worth the trouble it causes.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

IMON can be set to 3 compatibility levels. Have you tried all the options? Anyway, whenever you encounter connectivity problems after NOD32 installation, I suggest you drop an email to support@nod32.com. We will provide you a utility that will make a list of all LSP installed. It will help us reveal any problematic program that might cause a conflict with IMON.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.