NOD32 V2.5 - Early Warning System

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by izi, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izi

izi Registered Member

Hello!

I found this in Event log: Time Module Event User
    8.4.2005 21:12:13 Kernel Statistical information has been sent to Eset.

I like to see data that was sent to ESET. Where can i see what was sent to ESET?

Could someone from ESET post here data that was sent to ESET?

Best regards,

izi

PS: I turn off this, because i don't know was sent to ESET!!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The Bidirectional Early Warning System has a single purpose - to improve the protection that we can offer you, our customer. The best way to ensure that we see new threats as soon as they appear is to "link" to as many of our customers as possible and use them as our Threat Scouts. There are two options:

1. You can decide not to enable Early Warning System. You won't lose any functionality in the software, and you'll still get the best protection that we can offer.

2. You can enable Early Warning System to submit information about new threats, and where the new threatening code is contained in a file, the whole file can be sent to Eset for detailed analysis. Studying these threats will help Eset update its threat detection capabilities. Early Warning System will collect information about your computer related to newly detected threats, which may include a sample or copy of the file in which the threat appeared, the path to that file, its filename, information about the date and time, the process by which the threat appeared on your computer and information about your computer's operating system. Some of this information may include personal information about the user of the computer, for instance usernames in the path etc.

While there is a chance that on occasion this may disclose some information about you or your computer to our threat lab at Eset, our intention is not to gather that information for any other purpose than to ensure that we can respond immediately to new threats. We're telling you this up-front, and you have several options so you can be sure that we take your privacy very seriously.

By default NOD32 is set to ask you if you'd like to submit the suspicious file for detailed analysis to Eset's threat lab. Furthermore files with certain extensions like .doc or .xls are always excluded from having their contents included, should a threat be detected in them. You can add other extensions so that if there are files that you or your company wants to particularly avoid ever sending, you may be sure they will be untouched.

We hope that you will help us better protect your computers by using the Early Warning System Technology and be a part of making the Internet a safer place.

3. izi

izi Registered Member

Thanks Marcos!

Is it possible to post here (or send me private message) one information without personal information? I like to see information which was sent to ESET.

Best regards,

izi

4. Marcos

I really don't know what was submitted from your machine - as stated in the privacy statement, the data sent is fully anonymous so I'm unable to figure out what exact information was sent out from your machine. All I could tell was already mentioned above.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Prevx uses a similar early warning system that also sends anonymous information regarding threats discovered on their users machines…

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

6. izi

izi Registered Member

Could you post any other information without personal information. I really like to see one file with information.

Best regards,

izi

7. Marcos

I don't understand what exactly you want. All I can see is something like http://www.virus-radar.com. From this information, I cannot tell who sent a particular email as the virus radar only gathers information about the threat name and the time.

8. Blackspear

Izi would just like to see a sample of what Eset receives through the EWS.

Cheers :D

9. Marcos

All has been said - the information gathered is shown similarly as on Virus radar. There's no personal info as mentioned in the privacy statement.

10. izi

izi Registered Member

Thanks Blackspear!

I turn off EWS because i don't like spyware an my computer!!!

Best regards,

izi

11. Marcos

Turning on Early Warning System is optional. If you mind it, you can turn it off. However, the more customers use it, the more quickly Eset can react to potential threats. According to your premsse, Windows as well as many other software must be spyware as well.

12. izi

izi Registered Member

In Error reporting (Windows XP) you could see what information is sent to Microsoft.

If you update Windows, Microsoft collect some information from computer, but i don't like this. :-(

13. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

izi,

Both by defenition and the straight forward opt out option, this doesn't even come close to spyware. Just disable it - that button is there for good reasons.

regards,

paul

14. izi

izi Registered Member

If EWS isn't spyware, why ESET doesn't show sample what ESET receives through the EWS.

Paul, how could you know what is received through EWS?

Spyware is a class of malicious programs which includes any program that collects and tranmits information about a computer system without the implicit consent of the owner.
    (http://www.viruslist.com)

Best regards,

izi

15. Paul Wilders

izi,

Have a look at a general definiton from spyware over here. Surely EWS does not fit in this category by far.

I'm jumping in here only to correct any spyware/NOD32 relationship: there's no such thing.

regards,

paul

16. izi

izi Registered Member

'Once installed, the spyware monitors user activity on the Internet and transmits that information in the background to someone else....' - that is EWS.

Should I say more...

17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

izi,

Actually, yes, you should say more. The facility in NOD32 is provided with full dislosure to the user and allows the user to very easily disable this facility without any negative impact on the functionality of the application.

To label this facility as spyware is incorrect to say the least.

Blue

18. Paul Wilders

izi,

Please read closely. Line one:

Since we all know this isn't the case here - an one is free to disable this function right from the start, EWS does not classify as spyware.

regards,

paul

19. izi

izi Registered Member

20. izi

izi Registered Member

I don't know what really sent to ESET (my email address, credit card number, password for emails, etc.).

Best regards,

izi

21. Paul Wilders

izi,

No offense intented, but you're missing the crux completely. I won't bother to repeat myself over and over, since all has been said and is very plain for all to see.

regards,

paul

22. izi

izi Registered Member

I only want to see sample of what ESET receives through the EWS.

If i can't see what is in this so called Statistical information, for me it's trojan.

Best regards,

izi

23. Blackspear

Hi Izi, other than virus information I very much doubt that there will be any other data transmitted. The Eset representative Marcos has stated that at this point what is actually transmitted to Eset will not be disclosed, and really nothing further can be said. I understand that you would like to know exactly what is transmitted to Eset, as in seeing an example, and maybe in time this will be provided.

For now this thread is really going nowhere and it's time to leave things be.

Cheers.

24. izi

izi Registered Member

I know (hope) that ESET doesn't collect any other information but, i only like to see Statistical information. That's all folks!!!

Best regards,

izi

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The help file gives some info.

You can enable Early Warning System to submit anonymous information about new threats, and where the new threatening code is contained in a file, the whole file can be sent to Eset for detailed analysis. Studying these threats will help Eset update its threat detection capabilities. Early Warning System will collect information about your computer related to newly detected threats, which may include a sample or copy of the file in which the threat appeared, the path to that file, its filename, information about the date and time, the process by which the threat appeared on your computer and information about your computer's operating system. Some of this information may include personal information about the user of the computer, for instance usernames in the path etc.

While there is a chance that on occasion this may disclose some information about you or your computer to our threat lab at Eset, our intention is not to gather that information for any other purpose than to ensure that we can respond immediately to new threats. We're telling you this up-front, and you have several options so you can be sure that we take your privacy very seriously.

By default NOD32 is set to ask you if you'd like to submit the suspicious file for detailed analysis to Eset's threat lab. Furthermore files with certain extensions like .doc or .xls are always excluded from having their contents included, should a threat be detected in them. You can add other extensions so that if there are files that you or your company wants to particularly avoid ever sending, you may be sure they will be untouched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.