NOD32 v2.12 - I'm Impressed!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by gpdev, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpdev

gpdev Registered Member

Hi,

I've been a registered NOD32 user since version 1.
    The new NOD v2.12 is an amazing AV in all aspects (features, performance, detection)
    I'm also a registered user of KAV Pro 4.5, Norrman NVC 5.7, F-Prot 3.15a (only used for On-Demand scanning) so I have some experience with other AV products.

NOD32 is now the only AV I'm using fully (On-Access + Email/Net + On-Demand)

All the components are active and working beautifully with no compatibility problems so far and almost no performance hit.
    I have several resident security programs and have not encountered any problem.
    (Process Guard, Prevx Home, RegRun, Kerio 2.1.5, BoClean, TDS3 - all work along side NOD32 without having to make configuration changes)

It works so well I almost forget it's there!

The new IMON features are what I've been waiting for (HTTP scanning) and
    Advanced Heuristics in AMON is a great additional feature.

Email scanning is flawless (I'm using K9 for spam and Calypso as my email client) - no problems here, IMON is scanning all emails and catching all infected messages (mostly NetSky variants)

Trojan detection can be improved (KAV is still better) but I always treated NOD as a pure AV solution and not as a total malware detector (I have BoClean and TDS for that)

I'm really impressed with this latest version, this is what I've been waiting for since I bought NOD32 v1 - I think this is finally a mature and stable AV and I congratulate the ESET guys which worked so hard to achieve this.

Keep up the good job!

Edit: FYI - I'm using WinXP SP1

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Good post Gpdev, I too am impressed, it is great to see development in the right direction :D

Cheers :D

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You wouldn't like IMON HTTP scanner if you have Proxo as it is massive redundancy and slows your computer terribly, whereas, KAV 4.5 has no such slow down. Would you like having your internet pages scanned three times before your browser gets the page? Ridiculous. Plus what the heck is AMON for if you first have to have IMON scan pages? That is plain NUTS. AMON should be done away with if you use IMON HTTP scanner.

Plus, NOD32's emphasis on adv. heuristics causes a lot of false positives. Also something I have not seen with KAV 4.5. I detest false positives. They are a real pain in the butt and this will always be a major problem with an AV that goes the way of heuristics instead of signatures.

The best NOD32 was version 1 except for the excessive icons in the sys tray which was just a minor irritant.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have no slowdowns using proxomitron and http scanning.
    XP sp2 NOD 2.12.1

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

How could you solely rely on IMON instead of AMON? If you are going to get of rid of one of them, make it IMON. AMON scans all files written to the HDD, whereas IMON is ONLY checking HTTP traffic(and POP or SMTP if you use the email checker portion of course).

6. Blackspear

I also have no slowdowns using Proxomitron and IMON enabled HTTP scanning.
    Windows XP PRO SP2 NOD 2.12.2

Cheers :D

7. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

It never ceases to amaze me, from all the posts I read at various forums and NG's that so many people claim no performace hits, in spite of all the programs they have running resident. I must be measuring performance degradation differently than most.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you noticing a slowdown somewhere?

I have no reason to enhance the truth. It zips along realtime and at times seems faster than version one.

9. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Not to take this too far off topic, but, Mele20 why do you bother to continue to come here? Honestly. Almost all I ever see from you is negativity and continual comparisons to KAV. You don't have to like NOD32 to be here; but, if you don't like NOD32 then pick another AV product and move on. There are many fine alternatives, all suited to differing requirements and tastes. These other products all have their fine points and problematic issues as well, I'm quite sure, but I don't bother visiting their user forums... since I don't use those products.

Many of us here have experienced little or no perceptible slowdown with IMON. If you do experience slowdown then I would suggest either: 1) investigating the cause of the slowdown (through a separate post on point), or 2) simply disabling the feature since it is 100% optional. There are many fine AV products that do not contain any functionality similar to IMON. The prior NOD32 versions that you apparently liked, did not include IMON functionality. So what, really, do you have to complain about if you install NOD32 2.12.1 because you like the core AV product and yet consciously choose to disable IMON for your own reasons? In any event, it is poor advice to suggest that people disable AMON in favor of IMON. If anything, I would suggest the reverse.

10. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I have recently moved from NAV 2003 to the current, well 2.12.1, NOD32 and it is almost as though I had upgraded my hardware, not least when loading a Word or Excel document. I keep checking the damn thing to make sure it is working, it is so unobtrusive.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My system seems to run better with NOD than without also.

12. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

I am very sorry, but this is really making me come off my chair, your system is running better with than without NOD. There must be something weird about your system man!!!!!
    That a lot of people really think that NOD is a great product, ok, but stop giving me this bull..... please!!!!

I have an idea, that you must be one of the greatest shareholders at ESET.

Try to give clean-cut comments and praise it if you need to, but don't ever come around again with this kind of crap, nobody is waiting for this!!!!!

Greetings,

Putin

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I speak the truth oh noble Putin. I have no reason to lie or embellish the truth.

I am a licensed user, no more, no less. I am not a reseller either.

I know my system very well.

Do you use NOD? If so, what do you think about the way it runs on your system?

If not using NOD.why are you here?

One more thing, do not attack me in a personal manner.

Wilders Security Forums - Terms Of Service

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  14. sard

sard Registered Member

I use NOD32 (for the moment, license runs out soon) and it definitely slows it down less than many other AVs I've tried, however claiming it makes your system run faster than it does with nothing makes 0 sense and is probably just imagined :)

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I did say "seems" to run better. I did not state it does run better. Read the post. :)

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Registered Member

lol, same here, pleased to find another convert ;)

Nod doesnt slow down my machine 1 bit, be it boot or running, now nav was another story :D

17. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I actually had an experience come into play with Advanced Heuristics. We have two anti-virus solutions. One for our servers and one for our workstations. NOD32 was catching a particular virus even before we had the signatures, because our email server was letting them by because we did not have the signature yet for this virus.

18. donsan

donsan Registered Member

I own both nod32 and kav 5.0 personal but i perfer nod it runs great on my xp system.when i install kav 5.0 i have a serious defrag problem and don't like dealing with that. both are good but kav needs to get rid of the ad tags

19. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

I own paid licenses both to NOD32 and to KAV 5.0 (as well as to 5-6 others). Both are excellent programs, with few weaknesses and many strengths. However, in my experience with both programs (only installed one at a time, FWIW), I prefer KAV's interface over NOD's.

Wow, it's quite a programmatic challenge when you end up having to choose which great AV to use based on a Windows XP desktop-color-coordination preference.

:D

Regards,
    Jim

20. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

My dear Ronjor,

It's a pitty you feel attacked in a personal matter......you write something I only react on as being a load of bull, that's all.
    Secondly, you ask what I'm doing here if I don't use NOD. Where is stated that you have to be a NOD user in order to pay this forum with a visit?
    I think highly of this forum and therefore I am surprised about crazy statements you make about the performance of your PC.
    I'm a very interested pc user and like to get a lot of info about all kinds of AV scanners, no more and no less.
    And finally, no need to point out the Terms of Service, as I did not violate any of that.

Good luck en take care!!

;) Putin

21. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I just wanted to comment on this. (I am a reseller, btw.)

I have had two clients describe this exact situation--which I've mentioned in a couple of other posts in the forum--and they had exactly the same setup.

It's instances which you describe which really open your eyes as to how good your av of choice really is--not in a "scan my cd of maybe viruses/joke files/simulations", or "download and scan the latest diddlemyav.exe trojan to 'prove' that the av can't detect it" situation--but in an everyday real world situation that Average Joe faces.

I've seen AH nab a new badguy so many times now, it's becoming rather ho-hum, but it's sobering when you then check competing solutions to see if they have a definition, and the answer is no.

We considered two other solutions to offer clients, and believe we made the right choice.

Not knocking other products, just making a point. (Hopefully.) ;)

22. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

Hey All

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in and say that NOD32 version 2.1.12 after going thru the "beta" testing period has surfaced to be ---in my opinion as "the numero uno A/V solution!" --The GUI might not be "hollywood style" but who cares ! It does what it's supposed to: Protect your system from "bad things" and it does it fast without sucking the blood out of your system!

my last "edited" log file from a full tilt no bars hold scan on my system:

Scan performed at: 9/8/2004 19:05:46 PM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1.865 (2004090:cool: NT
    Operating memory - is OK
    .........number of scanned files: 194060
    number of viruses found: 0
    time of completion: 19:15:34 total scanning time: 572 sec (00:09:32)

Keep up the Excellent Work ESET TEAM!
    Saphire

----------------------------
    NOD32 Antivirus System information
    Virus signature database version: 1.865 (2004090:cool:
    Dated: Wednesday, September 08, 2004
    Virus signature database build: 4829

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version: 1.010 (20040902)
    Advanced heuristics module build: 1061
    Internet filter version: 1.002 (2004070:cool:
    Internet filter build: 1013
    Archive support module version: 1.019 (20040823)
    Archive support module build version: 1099

Information on installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Base
    Version: 2.12.2
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform: Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
    RAM: 1023 MB
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ (2002 MHz)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2004
  23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

A little sidenote apart from the whole discussion, but the remark about a system running or seeming to be running faster with some kind of software:
    I really absolutely surely had this effect with Port Explorer which frees dead sockets and reclaims free space much more efficiently then windows itself does. On win98se with only 128 mb RAM for instance this is absolutely very noticable. Having it installed, running, closing it occasionally and see the differences.
    On faster windows versions and more RAM it might be less dramatical, but i can imagine other programs could have such positive effects too, let's say i don't think it is all impossible.
    I'm sure there are tools to check all this with facts and figures, worth a try.
    Anyway, as long as NOD is doing it's job properly and making other use of the system possible and the user happy in the meantime.
    This was all i have to contribute on this remark.

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thank you Jooske! Sometimes I wonder, but I don't think I've gone over the edge yet. :)

25. Blackspear

LMAO, that's what they have parachutes for Ron ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.