NOD32 V/S KASPERSKY

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by moon_sunlight, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. which is the best ?

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The answer depends on what is important to you. Advocates of KAV like its very high rate of detection. NOD users say they like it due to its minimal effect on system speed and its hueristics.

Its really a take your pick situation.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I agree they both are good av's. It just depends on what runs well on your computer and what you are comfortable with. There are other good ones but you can't go wrong with either one of these.

4. alvd

alvd Guest

I use both here...Kav 4.5 on-demand e Nod32 2.5 Beta...good COMBO!

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes. In the future, GDATA AVK's going to be almost as good as that combo, because AVK's BD engine will also get HIVE heuristics engine.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Since I know them, NOD32 always was my favorite... ;)

7. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I liike both KAV 5 & Nod but I cannot have both installed on my computer otherwise it locks up and I have tried every combination of enabling resident protections, both having resident protection disabled etc etc.

I use KAV on main computer and Nod on laptop and as both are networked can use either to scan each other

I get the best of both worlds that way

8. Howard

Howard Registered Member

That is very interesting. GDATA AVK doesn't exactly make it easy to find out which engines (KAV or BitDefender) it is using, but rummaging around on my hard drive, I come across BitDefender AVCORE and it is version 7.0.0.2293 I didn't think HIVE heuristics was coming my way via GDATA AVK;it would be a nice addition if it was, although it seems to me that with GDATA AVK, the KAV engine is in there first consistently.

9. Firecat

Well I did ask BitDefender support whether HIVE will be implemented for products that use BD engine, like GDATA AVK, and I was told yes.

10. Firecat

Here's an abstract from my chat with BD tech support:

-------------------------------------x-----------------------------------------

Firecat : My question is - Does HIVE also apply to products that use
    the BitDefender engine, like GDATA AVK?

Sim : Yes.

Firecat : Currently, Phase 1 of HIVE is for real time, On-Demand as
    well as email scanning right?

Sim : Yes.

-------------------------------------x------------------------------------

That would explain a lot, wouldnt it? ;)

11. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Are you sure that you didn't talk to a chat-bot ? :D

12. alvd

alvd Guest

Is HIVE better than the Nod`s advanced heuristics?

13. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Up to now my favourite and permanent AV is NOD32. I have tried many AV (including HIVE) in the pAST.

14. Firecat

I'm sure.

@Stephanos: HIVE has not been fully implemented yet, so you cannot determine its performance.

@alvd - From what I've collected from various sources, I believe NOD heuristics is still a *bit* better than HIVE. HIVE will take till the end of 2005 to be fully implemented, so no decisions on its performance can be made yet.

15. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

yes, sure, i agree, just the support from the NOD 'people' and company is much better. Sometimes the choice of an AV depends on our character. Smth like different types of women, some like them blonde, some hot :D
    Thanks

16. Howard

Howard Registered Member

This would make GDATA AVK a very, very good deal indeed; at present, I think it is a very good purchase. They really ought to find a better way of promoting their product. I find it impossible to choose between GDATA AVK and NOD32 and seem to alternate between them.

Thanks for your investigative work, Firecat :)

17. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Oi! Oi! Oi! Oi! Oi!
    Just hold the phone for one minit! :)

There is ALWAYS a AND HOT, doesn't matter which haircolor :D :D :D

18. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Moon_Sunlight, it depends on your needs.

If you are a gamer, don't care much about detection or work with very large files, or if speed is important, you'd want NOD32

If you don't mind losing "some" speed, but you care a lot about detecting as much malware possible, then Kaspersky is for you.

19. rothko

rothko Registered Member

NOD32 has excellent detection, and the best is getting better all the time - the new beta version is awesome. I think what you meant was:

If you are a gamer, don't care much about bloatware/instability or work with very large files, or if speed is important, you'd want NOD32

20. sinbad370

sinbad370 Registered Member

I find them both to be great products. That is why i us Nod 2.5 as my main RTM and GDATA 2005 as my on demand. I would have never learned about layerd protection and how good these two products are if it wasn't for this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.