nod32 use PE-CRYPT.XORPE

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ink, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ink

ink Registered Member

Today download a malware that nod said maybe a variant of downloader and add to quarantine, i submit the file from C:\Program Files\ESET\infected, this is the result
    File: PYB3AYCA.NQF
    Packers detected: PE-CRYPT.XORPE
    Scanner results
    Dr.Web
    Found Trojan.DownLoader.10891

Kaspersky Anti-Virus
    Found Packed.Win32.Tibs

NOD32
    Found nothing

If some one use this packer, nod32 can't detect it? I know it is normal not to detect the file added to the quarantine, but the scaner can't find it anymore.

2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

It gets encrypted when it's quarantined, and why should NOD32 detect its own quarantined files? That are encrypted and not executable?

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

As a related question, does this also apply to independently XORed files?

I mean, suppose I take a malware-infected file and encrypt it with this XORPE and place it in any random directory (except the folder where NOD is installed), will NOD32 still detect the malware in this XORPE encrypted file?

4. ink

ink Registered Member

I just find a way that nod32 used itself to aviod detection. No matter where you put it, the scaner can't find. I think only dr.web can find it correctly, it is a trojan downloader.

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

In it's xored state the quarantine item is not executable. NOD32 would detected it upon decryption. More importantly, if a malware was to try and decrypt the NOD32 xored files then it would be more imortant IMHO for this decrypting malware to be detected since it is the real threat, not the benign quarantine item.

Cheers :)

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If it is non-executable up to the time of decryption, then why do some AV scanners do automatic decryption of this type of files? I don't see the need considering that the malware will be detected anyway on decryption. :doubt:

7. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Exactly:thumb:
    Although I have heard what I believe to be some valid arguments for it, I still just seems unnecessary to me.
    I wish that at least when they do detect it they would mention it as 'a (possible) NOD32 quarantine item' - but this is nothing to do with NOD32

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.