NOD32 UI

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rusticdog, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rusticdog

rusticdog Guest

I just started using NOD32 a few days ago, I found there was no automatic scan set up to check my computer.
    I figured if all the other features are working as they should then I don't need a full system every day like my previous AV program did, but as I was in doubt about this, I asked around others I knew using NOD32, and my suspicion was confirmed.

I do wonder about this however, despite not really needing a daily scan, wouldn't the program be more aesthetically pleasing for users if this came as a default. I'm a good example, despite having a fair idea of how NOD32 worked, I still felt I had to ask, as I was uncomfortable with the idea my PC was not being scanned. I guess this is as a result of the other AV programs I have used, which seems to have imprinted into my mind that I do need this.
    Granted the options are there to add this in, but I believe they would be better adding this as a default as the option obviously would still be there to remove it.

Secondly I have trouble navigating the program ? Myself personally think that this proggie could certainly be dumbed down somewhat. For example looking at the modules I see, AMON, DMON, IMON and NOD32, none of which really explain what they are on first look....granted it's all in the help, just doesn't seem very intuitive.

Once I've become more familiar with the product I'm fairly confident I'll be happy with NOD32, though it's not a program I could recommend to any new computer user, which was why I think the UI could be 'dumbed' down a little.

I'm was thinking perhaps that NOD32 has been specifically altered to not cater for new computer users by making the UI more of a challenge, but surely this wouldn't be true, perhaps they've gone for a look and feel UI that is just 'different' ? But then I'd think that any focus group or UI study would show quite clearly any new net user may just be quite lost.

Just my 2c :)

Cheers
    rd

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Nice post Rusticdog, and I have to agree with you. A prompt every 7 days that; “It is time to run a full system scan, click ok” and the ability to turn such a prompt off for those of us that run a scheduled scan or simply do not want to be prompted. Such a prompt would go down well with my clients.

This has been noted in Future Changes to Nod32.

I know there are plans for a new interface in version 3.0, as to what changes I do not know.

In the mean time there is a thread here on tweaking Nod32 to the maximum and also shows how to place in a scheduled scan.

Cheers :D

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

While I understand your gripe and partly agree with you, I also feel that NOD is all about options. You can control almost every aspect of how NOD detects ( ie. heuristics, definitons or both) how it disinfects, cleans,reports or ignores etc. These options allow people to set up their virus protection in the exact configuration they want. Some people use KAV resident and only use NOD for its heuristics and so on. By dumbing down the UI removes alot or all of these options. It has been suggested to have both a basic and advanced settings UI and I think I recall Marcos saying they are attempting to implement such an idea in the next version release (3.0). Sorry I have no idea when that will be released and I doubt Eset does either as they are still working on getting 2.5 out the door.

4. Blackspear

I agree with simplifying of things, Like calling AMON - Resident Scanner, IMON - Internet Monitor etc, however I don't want anything removed, I still want the ability to tweak, because that IS Nod32, make it into how you like it, but for the novice we need it to be more user friendly, and a prompt to scan would be beneficial ;) :D

5. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

Why not the option to switch between advanced mode and simplified mode?

There are many things about Nod32 that i do not like from a userfriendly point of view. But i can ignore those cuz i have enough computer know how.

I wish Eset really listens to ppl like rusticdog - for we all wish eset to become a bigger player in the anti virus industry. And while Mr Black above states he has installed Nod32 on many a n00bs computer and has very little problem with them ( the n00bs that is, not their computers ) - after explaning to them about what the error 4 means etc etc, I still disagree with him about beeing able to recommend Nod32 to anyone bellow average comp know-how. ( whatever that means )

/DaK/

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It has been stated that an option for choosing from more profiles, customized for various user experience levels, will be available in NOD32 3.0

7. Blackspear

Thank you Marcos for confirming this.

8. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I will look forward to the new version. I have set NOD up according to Blackspear's configurations and was happy until I read through the posts about clean/delete/quarantine and now I am not sure which profile I should be changing to use this when scanning from etc o_O I set up the deep heuristics etc easily but really am a bit lost as to what NOD should do if it finds a virus or anything I don't want. Local scan - indepth - I am not sure which one I use. I use indepth but Local seems to do the same thing o_O

myprofile/context/ plus the other one - I didn't realise there were just as many places to configure until I read the posts on the forum. I have always had an AV and configured the setup over the basic type install but have to admit NOD is not one of the easy ones when you find out just how many components need to be configured and hope by doing this you are not 'opening any doors!'

My neighbour who is completely new to computers although he likes NOD was totally lost when it came to watch me configure it and told me there was no way he would have been able to work NOD out at all - he would have had to use a simpler AV which practically configured itself.

9. Blackspear

Hi Robyn, Nod32 is quite reasonable out of the box, I just prefer to tweak it to its maximum. If you follow each of the steps in my tutorial then Nod32 will be set very tight. The new Beta goes a long way to addressing this situation as well so people new to Nod32 will have less concerns. Nod32 is a fantastic anti-virus solution that can be adjusted to suite everyone’s needs, those that like it light, through to those that like it strong, just like coffee ;) :D

Also on page 2 of the tutorial is the ability to set a scheduled scan using command line switches, and once you've had a wander through the ins and outs of Nod32 a few times it's really not that scary ;) :D

10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am laughing as I have just made an espresso machiato and it is :cool: NOD is easy to configure after working out my new coffee machine ;)

I am one for the most secure settings I can have which is why I am trying to make NOD bolt down completely. Your configurations have helped me so much and I do like NOD (have a 2yr license NODUK) so I trusted it completely to make this decision after the trial. BTW my neighbour just notes about every word you post on this forum and tells me what Blackspear said ;) he also likes your sig.

11. Blackspear

LMAO, well I'd better watch my P's and Q's then hadn't I ;) :D

I know he is learning security, so I'd suggest he has a look here which will give him a good guide. As well there are discussions here and even more here.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

12. rusticdog

rusticdog Guest

13. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I have to agree with rusticdog. When I first installed NOD32, I had no idea how to set up a scheduled scan. Coming from NAV, NOD's UI was a little difficult to understand. Even when I finally found the Schedule/Planner, I couldn't set a scheduled scan where I could actually see the files being scanned. If I didn't know about this forum, I probably still wouldn't know how to set it up. I don't think having to go to a forum to ask how to set up a scheduled scan in your AV is good way to handle things. Most AVs make it pretty simple to set up that function.

14. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

Hopefully the people at Eset have watched this development in Kaspersky and how they succeded/failed. One can learn much from other ppls mistakes.

/DaK/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.