NOD32 takes much too long to load in Vista

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Safai, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Safai

Safai Registered Member

Sorry to reopen this issue. But I have become hopeless searching the internet for the solution.o_O

NOD32 takes much too long (about 2-3 minutes) to load in Windows Vista. all other software/drivers seem to load normally. During this period almost all windows functions are non-responsive. For example you cannot connect to internet (dial-up), control panel doesn't load, etc.

My specs are:
    NOD32 version 2.70.39
    Vista Ultimate build 6000
    Intel Core 2 Due 4400 CPU
    Nvidia 7300 GT GPU
    1 Gbyte of RAM
    on board network card (disabled via Bios) - it is a stand-alone PC.
    dial-up connection for internet

2. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Nod will be trying to connect to internet to update?
    What settings are you using to account for dial up?

1GB ram for Vista, rather you than me.
    :eek:

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

1 GB RAM for Vista Ultimate with NVidia card is not so much , this is Vista!
    Buy more RAM and either you or someone else add it to the machine . For this configuration it is preferable to have approximate 2 GB RAM.

About NOD32:

1) Download the latest fresh version of NOD32 v 2.7 for your operating system
    Trial version or Full paid version

2) Open Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs and Uninstall NOD32

3) Reboot when prompt

4) After restart , go to C:\Program files and manually delete the folder ESET

5) Repair Winsock

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

Note that there is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset

6) Run disk clean-up to ensure all temporary files are gone
    Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Clean-up , check all offered things and press OK
    View attachment 192076

6) Install NOD32 from the file you downloaded in step 1
    Use "Expert" installation . When you get to screen similar to this one , place a check to disable the splash screen
    View attachment 192075

7) Make sure you have stable internet connection and NOD32 (nod32krn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall.
    Then Update NOD32 !

8 ) Once NOD32 is installed , open Control Center -> Update -> Setup -> Advanced . Now choose Dial-up . Confirm with OK and Hide the Control Center .

9) I suggest you edit this task and some other settings , don't disable it as it might occur important under some specific circumstances!

- Open NOD32 Control Center -> NOD32 System Tools -> Scheduler/Planner . Have a look at System startup file check

View attachment 192583

- Right click on it and choose Edit

View attachment 192584

- Start editing the task and make it as follows:
    - NOD32 kernel - System startup file check [NEXT]
    - Leave the name as it is
    - Choose the task to run at Event triggered [NEXT]
    - Run the task at User logon
    - Every 24 hours [NEXT]
    - Run the task as soon as possible [NEXT]
    - Press [Finish] and choose as shown

View attachment 192585

- Press OK

- Open AMON -> Setup -> "Detection tab"
    Press the Extensions button . Uncheck Scan all files and make the settings as shown

View attachment 192586
    Press OK

10) Open NOD32 Control Center -> NOD32 System Tools -> Scheduler/Planner . Place a tick on the scheduled task "Automatically update after dial-up connection"

How are things going on now?

4. joel406

joel406 Registered Member

All good advice Hi-Tech..

I run NOD32 on all 8 of my rigs here at home. All load NOD32 much faster then described in the original post. All my rigs run Vista Ultimate except 1 that is old and still running XP Pro. My main machine has 2GB DDR2 800 Corsair and a 2GB Corsair flash drive ready boosted. It loads everything fast. I have 2 laptops running Vista and each has just a gig each. One has DDR2 while the other just DDR but they both load quite quickly. All my computers are pretty much loaded with the same software setup and it aint a light setup. I am writing several books as well as using my laptops for work.

I feel as if I've lost my point...

They all load NOD32 much faster then the poor poster who originally asked for help.

5. Safai

Safai Registered Member

Hi DavidCo. / HiTech_Boy,
    Thanks for your posts.

I have just upgraded to 2 Gb of RAM. The problem persists!
    I have disabled AMON totally. The problem persists!

DavidCo: I use the usual settings for dial-up internet connection. All the defaults from Windows. Anything specific you are looking for?

HiTech_Boy: Though I have already tried your solution, I will try them again. Maybe I missed something last time.

I will tell you if I get some results.

Thanks again.

6. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

If you are on dial-up, of you checked that the Nod32 control centre update/advanced settings are set to "Dial-up"?

What other security packages are you running?

7. Safai

Safai Registered Member

Hi Biscuit.

Yes I have set it to Dial-up indeed.

I'm not using any other security software, even not windows defender ! It is totally disabled.

Cheers.

8. Safai

Safai Registered Member

Hi everybody.

I had some off-line discussion with people in Technet. I can only say that it seems the issue is more to do with Vista than NOD32. Vista simply takes too long to load the required drivers and services !

I will wait for the release of Vista SP1 (first quarter of 200:cool:.

Thanks a lot for all the advice.

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, did repairing Winsock not resolve this issue?

What previous Antivirus was on this system, as in what came preloaded? Even Trial versions.

Do you use Norton Password Manager?

Cheers :D

10. Safai

Safai Registered Member

Hi Blackspear.

Winsock repair didn't help.

My system is a fresh install of Vista, without any previous antivirus system.

I don't use Norton password manager. I have disabled everything even Windows Defebder, Sidebare, ...

The problem of slow boot exists before and after Windows performance & Reliability updates (I don't install security updates).

I even reinstalled a fresh copy of Vista, and installed Kaspesky antivirus (version 7) on it. The same problem ! too slow to boot !

That's why I came to the conclusion that the problem is Vista itself not NOD32.

Regards.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No worries.

What about a wireless network card?

Cheers :D

12. Safai

Safai Registered Member

BlackSpear,

I use a dialup connection through telephone line for internet access. no wireless card.

Cheers

13. seananderson

seananderson Registered Member

I get similar problems - the classic thing it stops is anything requiring user access control stuff. For example, I have been doing some overclocking etc, and as part of this, I have been running things that monitor the system, or read system details (like CPUz). The UAC dialog does not come up until the NOD32 icon appears in the system tray.

I have Vista Home Premium, clean install from scratch (though that was a couple of months ago).

Intel E6850 @ 3.6GHz
    2GB Ram
    8800GTS Video
    WD Raptor operating system drive (nod32 in installed on this)
    Raid 5 three disc secondary "drive" (most other apps on this)

Now, it doesn't really worry me - I tend to turn on the computer and walk away while it boots, but occasionally it is annoying.

Is there a way to track/graph service starts, driver loads, application starts etc?

14. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Wireless card disabled if you do not use it?
    Also disable the LAN connection if you don't use it.
    Do you know what rpm hard drive the laptop has?
    Some older and less expensive models have 4200rpm hard drives...I'd consider that excruciatingly slow for Vista. Mid-range models have 5400rpm drives..still slow. Hopefully it has a 7200rpm drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.