Nod32 SysInspector says my HOSTS is risky...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by IanGear, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IanGear

IanGear Registered Member

What do I do now? It lists my HOSTS as level 8:risky, and includes a list of countless sketchy bad looking sites, various spyware places.

It says the two localhost things are good, and everything else is bad. Why are all these other things even there? Can/should I just delete them all somehow?

Or are these sites that are blocked? Which would be good? I'm confused.

Thanks.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit by the way.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

SysInspector only tells you what entries are suspicious. It does not mean that files flagged as suspicious are necessarily bad or malicious.

3. IanGear

I can tell they're bad by looking at them though, they're a list to a bunch of spyware sites and the like.

My question here, since I've never done this before, should/could I just delete all these things from my hosts, aside from the localhost part which I need?

I mean, there's no reason to have any addresses to web sites in your hosts file, right?

I've been alerted to this, now I just want to "take action". :cool:

[edit:]Further research is showing that the listing of these sites could be to block those sites, which is good.

Here's a sample line from the HOSTS:

127.0.0.1 www.a-d-w-a-r-e.com

So, does this mean it's blocking that site, rather than allowing it? So I shouldn't delete it? How can you tell if a listing in the hosts file is for prohibiting a site, rather than helping it? Thanks

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  4. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

127.0.0.1 and " name " means it's blocking internet access to those listed.

sometimes spybot or other antimalware programs add their own entries here from a list of known malicious sites.

5. IanGear

Ah, thanks, that's good.

Here's a question, I've heard about spyware hijacking your HOSTS file and adding harmful things to it.

What kind of line could be in a hosts file which can do you harm? What should I look out for?

Thanks.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Most Hosts files are super long so easily scanning is tedious. However, if malware has altered your Hosts, sometimes they will add entries that will prevent you from updating your Antivirus program, Eset for instance. If Eset is unreachable, give thought to your Hosts file.

127.0.0.1 www.eset.com sends you on a loopback to your PC's local host

7. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

if the sites in your HOSTS files are bad-looking sites, then they were probably added by a security program such as Spyware Blaster, so that your PC can't acccess those malicious sites.

Conversely if the sites in there are security sites etc. then they were probably added by a malicious program :)

8. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

great explanation !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.