Nod32 Splash screen taking longer and longer to disappear

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by phillo, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phillo

phillo Registered Member

I've been using Nod32 for over twelve months and in the last few months the splash screen takes quite a while to disappear. Progressivley slower. From memory it used to display for about 5 seconds and now takes about 25 seconds to disappear.
    No changes to hardware and ADSL connection
    I've done a search and checked FAQ's
    Appreciate your thoughts.

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

well, it happened to me also. Try a fresh install.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just disable the splash screen if its causing problems.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Welcome to Wilders , Phillo !

As Pykko , I also suggest reinstalling NOD32 + something else .

First goto Start->Run->type msconfig->Press OK-> goto "Start up" tab and check what is running on start-up on your machine . You can safely (uncheck) disable some programs from running on start-up to increase your computer speed at start-up .

Then , run Disk Clean up from Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools . This is integrated in Windows tool which will help you remove unnecessary temporary file from your machine . Check everything and press OK.

http://pandaman.my.contact.bg/dcu.PNG

After that your computer should be faster . Reinstall NOD32 following these steps:

1) Download a fresh copy of NOD32 ver 2.7 for your correct operating system
    Full paid version

2) Goto Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs and Uninstall NOD32

3) Reboot

4) Goto C:\Program files and manually delete the folder ESET

5) Install NOD32 from the file you just downloaded in step 1
    Use Typical settings

6) Make sure you have stable i-net connection and NOD32 (nodkrn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall and Update NOD

7) Configure NOD32 as shown here

8 ) Enjoy ! :thumb:

5. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

Even better than msconfig is the free utility, autoruns, from Sysinternals. It gives you control of practically everything that starts when you switch on.

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

additionally to increase your Windows boot time you may use this utility
    Using this tool will fix the problem. ;) For me it really worked. :)

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I agree it is better than msconfig . It is not just better , it is completely different and better providing more options and it is effective way to find malware in combination with Process Explorer . However , in this case , where we don't know the OP's computer skills , I think msconfig would be more appropriate than MS AutoRuns . My point was to use msconfig to help disable common programs such as ICQ,Skype,Winamp agent,WinZip agent etc from starting just to hurry up a bit the things :thumb:

8. phillo

phillo Registered Member

Folks,
    Thanks for the info thus far and especially HiTech_boy for being mindfull of my level of experience or lack thereof, it's never a bad idea to pitch low ( smiles )
    I consider myself a novice to intermediate user and I forget about things like msconfig.
    I'll check out the other posts/links as well, they're interesting and will give me a better understanding of what goes on under the bonnet.
    On review of your posts, it's very likely that a startup application is slowing down the splash screen as it stays static for 25 seconds and then shows the update.
    But I'll certainly be doing the delete and reload as well.
    I've been having a look around the forum on unrelated topics and it's a lucky find. Lot's of info
    Thanks again and I'll let you know the outcome,
    Cheers,
    Phil - Melbourne Australia

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi again . Thanks for letting us know . :thumb:

10. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

Hello,
    Let's use Bootvis from Microsoft. It boost the boot.
    It works.
    Sincerly
    Cadoul from France

11. mwd

mwd Registered Member

Personally I don't think it's a NOD issue. I think it's the network connection. Seems like NOD waits for your internet to connect then finishes it's cycle.

I have a finicky router. My sweetheart accidently turned it off the other day and it reset itself. After that I went from a 5 second to 20 second splash just like you. It seems like it doesn't cycle til' the internet connection is made.

I watch NOD on 14 clients. The ones at work on a static IP splash quickly. The ones that are waiting for the NIC card or router to assign a DHCP address splash more slowly.

12. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I think it is a NOD32 issue. It happens to me also. After 2-3 months after install, it starts behaving like that... loading very slow. Additionally, if I scan something from within context menu scan it takes also very much to load and memory scan seems not to finish and the window freezes. After disabling the AH scanning option everything is fine. (This happens also after that 2 months period)

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It could be something connected to the network or something like that . I personally reinstall NOD32 often to get the new versions (I mean 2.70.16 to 2.70.23 , these new versions) but I also have lots of clients who have their NOD32 installed months moths ago (8+) and no problems at all .

But , let's forget this story , the OP mentioned everything's fine now :)

14. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you clear your temporary file and temporary Internet file folders and defragment the disk volume(s) containing the operating system and NOD32 does the problem go away?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.