NOD32 slows down the computer when opening folders

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by brunok, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brunok

brunok Registered Member

Hi.

I don't know if this is normal, but NOD32 slows a lot down the computer when I'm navigating folders. Sometimes it takes up to 5 seconds to open a folder with some files and other folders in it. Other antivirus software slowed down the computer too, but it wasn't as slow as NOD32 when opening folders. The rest is fine (scanning, starting up, starting programs...)

I'm running an Athlon XP 1700+, 734MB RAM, ASUS A7N266-VM nVIDIA nForce chipset, Windows XP SP2.

Thanks!

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

If you are noticing slow-down, then I would think these must be folders with a LOT of contents, or a fragmented disk - as I run a machine that is only slightly higher specced than yours, and I don't notice slow-downs.

Make sure that optimized scanning is on:

open the control center, click AMON - then Setup - now the options tab and check the option "Optimize Scanning" - this will stop AMON (the file access monitor) from repeat checking files unless they have changed. The first time you access a folder the contents will be checked, but subsequent opening of the folder will only scan any altered files.

hth

Greg

3. brunok

brunok Registered Member

It doesn't have lots of contents: around 10 folders and 5~20 files. Maybe it's because the disk is fragmented, but I've defragmented it aorund 6 weeks ago and I've always had the slow down problem.

As for the "Optimized Scanning", I'll verify that later cause I'm at work, but I'm almost sure it's on.

Thanks for your attention!

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Is NOD32 your onliest antivirus software? Do you have other security applications . I suggest you check hard drive for errors

Open My computer
    Then right click on the hard drive you want to check -> Properties -> Tools
    In the error-checking area click "Check now" to start the process

There can also be a malicious software (virus/spyware) that is doing its own stuff . Well , I know NOD32 is great software but nothing on this planet can guarantee you 100% success

Download HiJackThis .
    http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip

It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware.
    Create new folder in the main C:\ , called hijackthis
    Unzip (extract) the content of the downloaded ZIPp arhive into that folder C:\hijackthis
    Run HiJackThis and scan . When the scan is finished , save the log file . Do not remove anything . After you scan with it , go here:

http://www.eset.com/support/contact.php

Contact ESET . In addition to all things needed , add your HJT log file so ESET support guys will help you.

Other option :
    Start-Programs-Accessories- System Tools-System Information
    Check your RAM and how much free physical RAM do you have.

In other words , many things can be happening on your computer and if you are unable to identify the problem , I suggest you take your computer to a professional (reputable one) ;-)

5. brunok

brunok Registered Member

Hi, I will do that when I get home.

But I don't think it's spyware or anything like that. NOD32 is the only antivirus installed, and I use, Spybot, Spyware Doctor for regular scans, and Windows Defender too (but I disable the real-time protection of all anti-spyware). And I use Sygate as my firewall.

The drive is probably free of errors, but I'll scan it later.

And I regularly check my RAM, under normal circustamces I have at least 200~300MB of free RAM.

The problem is that real-time protection from NOD32 is usually fast, it only slows down (Windows Explorer stops for about 5 sec) when I'm navigating throguh the folders, and that doesn't happen all the time, usually when I first open a folder after a while. I'll try expanding the cache for those stuff later too, maybe that might help.

6. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I experienced this problem with certain kind of files. They were packed by for NOD32 unknown runtime packer and it caused NOD32 to take a lot of time to scan it..

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can disable runtime packers and advanced heuristics in AMON to see if it makes a difference. However, this is not recommended as NOD32 would not detect new threats then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.