NOD32 Slow at Startup.... HELP

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by 2leet4u, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2leet4u

2leet4u Registered Member

Since Ive upgraded to version 2.7, nod32 has slowed down my pc at start up.

Ive noticed that it tries to startup along side my internet connection.

The Nod32 logo hangs for 1-2 minutes after boot. It finally goes away as soon as my Cable internet connection comes online.

Nod32 checks for updates each time my PC boots. I turned off automatic startup but it still checks.

I disabled all firewall and spyware software before reboot and i still have the same issue.

If I disconnect my cat5 from my PC, nod32 doesnt take as long to boot.

So I uninstalled nod32 and rebooted, my PC starts with no problem or lag.

I installed nod32 again and connected my cat5, the slow startup occurs again.

I set nod32 to ask what do when a new definition is found.
    So every now and again, right after boot a new definition box pops up for install.

I tried updating from different nod32 servers and i still have the same effect.

That is how i know it checks for new definitions each time after boot and I am assuming that is causing slow boot times for my PC...

HOW CAN I FIX THAT.... o_O

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi !

1) Download the latest fresh version of NOD32 v 2.7 for your operating system
    Trial version or Full paid version

2) Open Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs and Uninstall NOD32

3) Reboot when prompt

4) After restart , go to C:\Program files and manually delete the folder ESET

5) Repair Winsock

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

Note that there is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset

6) Run disk clean-up to ensure all temporary files are gone
    Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Clean-up , check all offered things and press OK
    dcu.PNG

6) Install NOD32 from the file you downloaded in step 1
    Use "Expert" installation . When you get to screen similar to this one , place a check to disable the splash screen
    splashscreenNOD32pr.PNG

7) Make sure you have stable internet connection and NOD32 (nod32krn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall.
    Then Update NOD32 !

8 ) Once NOD32 is installed , open Control Center -> Update -> Setup -> Advanced . Now choose None . Confirm with OK and Hide the Control Center .
    noinetconecbnkasb.PNG

Restart . Hope that helps :thumb:

3. Pebbler

Pebbler Registered Member

That didn't help at all.

4. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

if you have wireless connection, than it will be :shifty:

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, please recheck the following to see if your Windows Winsock Layer has become corrupt:

Download and SAVE WinsockXPfix from here: http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_winsockxpfix.html

For Windows XP:

Click on Start
    Click on Run
    Type in cmd
    Click on OK
    Type in netsh winsock reset
    (Please note there are spaces between the netsh and winsock and reset)

Press ENTER
    Restart your computer.

If the above does not work due to an issue with Windows, run WinsockXPfix that you downloaded above and follow the prompts.

For Windows VISTA

1. Click Start. In the Start Search dialog box, type: cmd, and right-click cmd.
    2. Click Run as administrator.
    3. Type: netsh winsock reset, and then press the ENTER key.
    4. Type: Exit and press ENTER.
    5. Restart the computer

AFTER the above please go to the NOD32 Control Centre
    Click on IMON
    Click on Start and restart IMON.

Then reboot your PC.

Please also check the following settings:

NOD32 Control Centre
    Update
    Setup
    Server is set to its DEFAULT SETTING of "Choose Automatically".

Click on Advanced and make sure LAN is set for Broadband ADSL/Cable or Dialup is set for Wireless Broadband, Dialup and Satellite connections.

Check Proxy Server Setup> setup to make sure there isn't a tick in there (99.99% of people do not use a proxy).

Check that LAN servers connection> Setup is set to System Account (default).

Cheers :D

6. pain4gain

pain4gain Registered Member

Hello!!

How much memory do you have? If all the above doesn't resolve the issue, could you do the following test?

Quit (button becomes grey) all modules except for AMON, then restart.

Let me know how it goes.

7. seething

seething Registered Member

Ever since i upgraded to 2.7 my system is unusable for 30 seconds after boot, process explorer shows 60-70% cpu usage for NOD a good twenty seconds after boot. I might roll back to an earlier version.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Do you have a wireless connection?

Cheers :D

9. Pebbler

Following Hi_Tech Boy & Blackspears walkthroughs --> No difference.
    Quit (button becomes grey) all modules except for AMON, then restart. (pain4gain method) --> No difference.
    No wireless connection, under Update/Advanced, setting Internet Connection to NONE or LAN/FIXED LINE or DIALUP --> No Difference.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Ok , Pebbler . Do the following , please.

1. Download HijackThis from http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HiJackThis.exe
    Run it and choose "Do a scan and save a log" , a log will pop-up in seconds . The log file will be placed in the directory where HijackThis is started from.

2. Download AutoRuns from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/autoruns.mspx
    Extract the file and run the one called autoruns . When the program is ready , choose File->Save as and choose to save a log file

3. Download and run Lookinmypc from http://www.lookinmypc.com
    1. Select "Generate report"
    2. Wait - scan results will pop up in a browser
    3. Go to folder with LookInMyPC installed (default in C:\ProgramFiles\LookInMyPC\Reports\username\LookInMyPC.zip)

Start composing a new email to support@eset.com and attach
    • LookInMyPC.zip
    • the log file from HijackThis
    • the log from AutoRuns
    Describe briefly your problem and include a link to this thread . ESET support will provide you with other suggestions . Hope this helps! :thumb:

11. Pebbler

Ok thanks, I've sent an Email.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Keep us informed when you manage to fix your problem :thumb:

13. Pebbler

I'll do.

I was still using 2.70.32, I just uninstalled and installed 2.70.39, but no changes. Guess, it has to be some other driver/program at startup.

14. seething

No wireless connection. My connection is usually disabled at startup.

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Dunno if im on the wrong track here ,but ive just downloaded the trial version to try ,and theres an automatic "system startup files" check that runs by default in scheduler/palnner,on bootup that slows my pc down a tad and uses similar amout of cpu .Could it be that causing the problem/?
    ellison

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I suggest you edit this task and some other settings , don't disable it as it might occur important under some specific circumstances!

1. Open NOD32 Control Center -> NOD32 System Tools -> Scheduler/Planner . Have a look at System startup file check

pl1.PNG

2. Right click on it and choose Edit

pl2.PNG

3. Start editing the task and make it as follows:
    - NOD32 kernel - System startup file check [NEXT]
    - Leave the name as it is
    - Choose the task to run at Event triggered [NEXT]
    - Run the task at User logon
    - Every 24 hours [NEXT]
    - Run the task as soon as possible [NEXT]
    - Press [Finish] and choose as shown

pl3.PNG

4. Press OK

5. Open AMON -> Setup -> "Detection tab"
    Press the Extensions button . Uncheck Scan all files and make the settings as shown

amonst1.PNG

Press OK

6. Repair Winsock

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

Note that there is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset

7. After restart , open NOD32's Control Center -> Click IMON and reregisted it to the system. Now restart.

8. Run Disk clean-up to ensure all temporary files are gone
    Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Clean-up , check all offered things and press OK
    View attachment 192076

9. Open Update -> Setup . Press Advanced button . Choose your Internet connection to None and confirm with OK

updmod1.PNG

Restart the computer and say how are things going on :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2007
  17. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

"I suggest you edit this task and some other settings , don't disable it as it might occur important under some specific circumstances!"

Nice tip..:thumb:
    Dont think i would have found that.
    ellison

18. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Please , let us know if it helps

19. f3x

f3x Registered Member

when you set internet connection to none .. does it still update automaticly ?
    is this general good setting for fast startup or it's only a diagnostic setup ?

20. Thathi

Thathi Registered Member

Hi, regarding the system file startup scan that automatically occurs, I'm wondering about turning it off as a whole, even though you said not to. Please advise on this.

The reason I say this is because it seems that with the weekly check of drive c and the weekly stealth scan of all drives as well, along with all the protection that nod32 does at all times, this startup scan would be unnecessary. If all files and links are being scanned as you access them, and you have 2 weekly drive scans, what exactly is the benefit of this startup scan? Mine takes at least 20 minutes (i stopped paying attention at 20 minutes and left) to run the startup imon scan.

Please help!

21. Thathi

Thathi Registered Member

Sorry, I mean the AMON scan runs for that long. Maybe I misunderstand something, but I figure that is the startup scan scheduled by default.

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , it will update.

23. seething

I think the culprit is Comodo FW. Its taking forever to load. I'll have to tweak some settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.