NOD32 sloooow on scanning USB thumb drives

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by 5150, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5150

5150 Registered Member

Version in question: 2.70.16

I was copying some data from a reliable thumb drive to my work PC which I had only recently put NOD32 on, and the data transfer slowed to a crawl, at first making me think there was a problem. I checked Event Viewer at that point during the transfer and no errors, then checked Task Manager, and NOD was at 99% CPU use, so obviously it was busy scanning ... fine, and eventually the files shuffled across ... but it was remarkably slow - painfully so. Afterwards I tried the same with another thumb drive I have - same issue.

What experience have other users got with this? Try it out if you haven't already - see what results you get.

Just for the record - clean PC, no viruses, spyware, faults etc, and Athlon XP 3200 with 2Gb RAM, XP Pro SP2. PC is as fast as always with NOD installed when working straight off the hard drive.

Curious. o_O

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

maybe you have large file in your thumbdrive. so it takes time to scan it

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Tell us about all this things:
    -USB interface speed(1.1/2.0)
    -USB controller(VIA, NVIDIA, SiS, PCI card)
    -type of files
    -size of the files

You can play with the settings of AMON(runtime packers, advanced heuristics, etc) if you want

4. 5150

5150 Registered Member

^

> USB 2.0
    > nForce2 chipset
    > Various files for work eg > IE7 setup file, Firefox 2.0 setup file, DirectX 9.0b setup file, QuickTime 7, WinZip 9, etc etc ... just software I might need at a client's ...
    > (size of files varies from 2mb to near 20mb (see above point))

Will check AMON out, thanks. I can tweak it no probs, just thought I'd ask about other people's experiences. My NOD settings are the "Blackspear's" ones. :)

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It sounds like many of the files on your USB Solid State FLASH RAM disk drive are installation programs for other applications. Depending upon how your copy of NOD32 is configured, it may be decompressing and examining individual files from the installer programs, which would increase the time required to scan the files on the USB disk.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    The overall time to read/write to/from USB drives is normally very slow compared to an average HDD. It is no surprise that you are experiencing the slow scan time. BTW - all other a/v scanners will take longer! Here is a page from the Corsair forum telling about different brands of USB drives with abysmally poor performance.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.