NOD32 - Registry Scanning

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by nodHead, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

Does NOD32 V3 do it or not?

I know that a lot of malware / spyware anchors itself in the registry and no cleaning is effective if the offending registry entries aren't also cleaned.

If NOD32 V3 does do it, great. If not, what are ESET's reasons for not scanning the registry during a manual scan?

Serious question to weigh up before considering your product ESET. :)

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

As far as I know - No .

Mostly non-viral spyware stuff changes the registry . Because ESET products are not dedicated antispyware products they will remove the most important part of a threat - which is the file(s). These are not ESET reasons , just what I think :thumb:

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Version 3 actually removes the references to malicious files from the registry. However, a problem arises when you happen to run a file that, for instance, changes the system policy. Theoretically it'd be possible to restore admin settings, but this wouldn't be something that administrators would like to see when the antivirus would completely change the policy they set up for the users.

4. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

Ahh. Ok, very good. Glad to hear registry entries are also cleaned with malware removal! :thumb:

5. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Is this dependend on what cleaning strenght it is on?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Actually yes, if you set it to No cleaning then apparently nothing will be removed from the registry either. Otherwise it doesn't matter what level is selected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.