NOD32 or Norton

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huangzhengliang, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huangzhengliang

huangzhengliang Registered Member

I've heard Norton IS 2007 is less on resources than previous versions. My NOD32 trial is almost over and am considering whether I should upgrade to full version or get NIS 2007? Also, Norton 360 and NOD32 3.0 (IS) which are yet to come out.
    Thx.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

3. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

I have tried a lot of AV's over the years - Norton, Mcafee, Panda, CA, AVG Pro, Avast and now am happy with my multi-user, multi-year NOD32.

And don't forget that having a good forum for help, should you ever need it, is probably just as important.
    :D

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

The difference in performance between NOD32 and Norton when both tools have current virus definition files is insignificant. On the plus side for NOD32 when virus definitions are out of date it's heuristics mean it still gives reasonable protection (Norton does not). On the plus side for Norton (and more difficult to quantify) is that it goes through some of the best compatibility testing in the industry in order to serve it's huge corporate base.

I would personally go for NOD32 although very occasionally the IMON functionality of NOD32 can cause problems with applications (getting to the point that you realise an exclusion is required can take some time as it's never obvious why a network application is misbehaving). e.g. http://www.x2systems.com/AlienBBC/IMON2.png

NOD32 produces very little drag compared to most AV and gives excellent protection.

5. 5150

5150 Registered Member

As a NOD32 reseller, I will try and answer with hopefully some objectivity ... :)

I have been a PC tech at a formal level for now some 10 years, and when I first started out, Norton Antivirus had a great rep, and up until and including NAV2003, it was a great product (also considering the timeline), and I recommended it to all my clients. But NAV 2004 came out, and I (and a lot of other people) were surprised at what Symantec had done to it - it was now slow, bloated, and very heavy on system resources, as compared to even NAV 2003. I continued using NAV 2003, but stopped recommending NAV to my clients. Since then I've watched the online feedback on subsequent NAVs, as well as field experience of existing users. NAV/NIS 2004 > are IMO not an efficient product any longer, and many of my clients have voluntarily dumped NAV/NIS at the end of their subscriptions (some good stories there re uninstallation and new-found speed in PCs etc). And the weird part of this is, NAV is the sister product of Symantec Corp. AntiVirus, which by all accounts is a great product.

But just when things were looking down, along came NOD32 AV, and restored my confidence in high-grade anti-virus product - small, fast, light on system resources, and very pro-active. So logically I am happy to be a reseller. :) I have too many clients which depend on my opinion to keep their PCs in top-condition, and so I have to be discerning in my choices.

But so-far, NOD32 is very impressive. Very. :cool:

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Well if you need the complete suite then norton is your best choice, if you just want an antivirus then nod32 is your best bet.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Norton is a big company, but their products aren't so well made because they use a lot of resources... Its detection is very good, not counting with heuristics, but the rest...

An AV should be made to protect you an not to slow down the system performance like Norton does...

After tried all the AV's, NOD32 was clearly the best overall AV!

Just try both and see what is better for you and your system...

8. huangzhengliang

huangzhengliang Registered Member

the thing with trying different software is that I'm worried they won't uninstall properly as in all related files removed.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

With NOD32 you will not have any problem, but you can with Norton...

To completly uninstall Norton, after use its uninstaller, try this: Norton Removal Tool

Or use the trial version of Total Uninstall ;)

10. pipester

pipester Guest

Hello huangzhengliang, after removing a software, if available, use their removal tool to clean up leftovers, then I would recommend a system cleanup utility followed by a registry cleaner.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've never had a serious uninstall issue with any product, although I did notice that my uninstall of the Norton 360 beta left behind the Live Update module, which did have it's own entry under Add/Remove Programs and it was quickly dispatched using that.

As a matter of course, I typically perform a restart before initiating an uninstall and would recommend that you shutdown any application installed that could interfere with the uninstall as a "protective" measure.

Blue

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I never use Registry cleaners because I wouldn't take the risk of possible registry corruption

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You will not have problems if you use the right ones...

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally would use the later versions of norton over Nod32 for the simple reason nod won't work on either of my computers. The incompatabilities are insurmountable. I have had to waste two year long licenses because they wouldn't work. I have never had norton not work or be incompatable with everything I have on my comp. Just my personal experiences but nod is not a panacea, it has it's problems. Even with something as simple as updating.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  15. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I have a license for NIS 2006 that I received free with a laptop I bought, I was going to give it a test but have never got round to it. Is it possible to install the antivirus component without installing all the rest of the suite? And could I download/install NIS 2007 free if I have NIS 2006 license or does this require a further subscription?

Thanks
    londonbeat

16. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

NOD32 forever , , , Anyone who knows about NOD32 would be a fool to buy anything else. Norton does not exactly have a good track record when it comes to resources and "attempting" to uninstall it.

17. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

NAV 2005 was terrible on my setup, but I've heard they've made big improvements on 2006/7, does it still have problems with uninstalling?

18. 5150

5150 Registered Member

The gag re Norton: the reason why PCs now have dual-core CPUs ... 1 for Windows, and 1 for Norton's ... ;)

19. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

LMAO @ dual cores
    I dont know if its improved, but you mention norton to a tech like my self and we get a good laugh and a chuckle out of the mention. I personally would never be caught with norton on my computer. mcaffe is also cutting it close. But norton has a bad rep at least with techs in UK, well all the ones i know anyway

20. pipester

pipester Guest

RegSupreme, by jv16 power tools is a very refined and conservative registry cleaner, I have used his registry cleaning tools for years with no problems. I wouldn't be without one, if I did alot of software installing/uninstalling.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hello huangzhengliang,

choose norton IS 2007, it boasts a 99% detection rate, the resource usage of the 2007 range is low (yes it is low, although there will always be 'someone' lower), norton earned no false positives in the 2 major tests in 2006 by av-comparatives, also you will get the added security of a suite. Norton has the better interface, although nod32 has options to tinker with.

22. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Agree.

Both are great AV's. You could try NIS 07 or NAV 07 out for 3 months and then decide whats best for you http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/. I have had absolutely no problems with either nod32 2.7 or NIS/NAV 07.
    I would recommend NIS 07 over Nod32 & win firewall anytime, but you go and try out :)

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep and i agree with that, nobody is saying nod is poor, both will do the job for sure, but what my previous comment, id choose norton IS 2007.

24. Howard

Howard Registered Member

The pre-installed version of NAV 2006 on my new laptop uninstalled just fine when I replaced it with NOD32 :p

And just as when I replaced a pre-installed NAV 2003 with NOD32 a few years ago, the effect is equivalent to a significant hardware upgrade.

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im sure you are right, but norton 2006 is nothing like norton 2007,

norton 2007 has 'no un-installation issues', a lower ram usage, a better GUI, and improved features.

nod32 is a good av, as he already probably knows, but norton wins this one for me :) , maybe later in 2007 if/when nod bring out there suite, it could be good, although it depends how they do it, it could easily be a big fat flop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.