NOD32 or Kaspersky 4.5? (details inside)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Matt_Smi, Aug 16, 2004.

?

NOD32 or Kaspersky 4.5?

1. NOD32

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Kaspersky 4.5

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Right now I am using AVG free as my AV; before I go back to school (at the beginning of September) I want to purchase a better AV. I want one that uses very little system resources and that I barely know is there, but one that still offers good protection at the same time. I have heard very good things about both NOD32 and KAV 4.5, and have heard that KAV is a bit heavier on the system but also have better detection rates (Esp. with Trojans). I have heard some not so good things about KAV 5.0, and I would rather not give that a try. So right now these two AV’s are my top choices, but before you vote I guess you should know my system specs along with my browsing habits, so here they are.

System Specs

- Windows XP
    - 2.2 GHz P4
    - 768 MB of Ram
    - 80 GB 7,000 RPM HD

Browsing Habits

- Always keep up on critical updates
    - Use Firefox
    - Run ad aware and spybot
    - Don’t use any type of P2P program
    - Don’t download anything unknown/un-researched
    - Barely use my e-mail and I never open ANY attachments
    - Dont let anyone use my computer
    - I also don’t visit any adult or sketchy websites, and I pretty much only visit websites and forums like this one.

I know that my browsing habits are pretty paranoiac and with them and AVG I am probably pretty safe anyway. But I am a bit concerned about my computer once its back at college, as I am on a network there and last year there where many viruses that spread on the network and infected many computers. Although I still never got one and most of the people who did knew nothing about computers. I am basically and just looking for a good AV for peace of mind. And finally I have heard that there is a new version of NOD32 that is in beta right now, should I wait and get that, or if I get NOD now will I be able to download the new version for free once it is out anyway? Thanks for the input!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

NOD32. Zero lag time stopping unknown threats.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

All engine updates, including new versions are available to licensed users for free while their license remains current.

Advanced heuristics are pretty impressive with Nod32, and the new Beta is also very impressive :D

I am a Reseller of Nod32, so some would say a little biased ;)

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've used both KAV 4.5 and the recent NOD32 beta. KAV is definitely heavier resource-wise. When I switch back and forth I do notice the lightness of NOD32. KAV isn't a distressing drain for my uses and machine (similar to yours, although I've upgraded the processor a bit), but I do notice a lag here and there. I generally don't see this with NOD32.

KAV does has wider detection capabilities, I don't think anyone will debate that, but are the differences operationally significant and are you willing to pay the costs in resource comsumption? Whether or not the enhanced capabilities of KAV are operationally significant depends on how the AV is challenged under your use habits. So far, in my hands, neither of these two AV's has let anything through for the other to find. In addition, in my own experience, nearly all AV infections that I've experienced or witnessed have involved a high profile current threat. All the major commercial packages cover this situation very well. Both KAV and NOD32 have frequent updates, which is your best defense here.

On trojans, KAV has covered trojans better than NOD32 in the past, but that lead seems to be quickly evaporating.

From your description of browsing habits and other software installed, coupled with your stated desire to use something that you "barely know is there", I'd strongly point you in the direction of NOD32. As always, test performance on your system with your complement of installed applications before purchasing.

Finally, I'm going through a similar decision myself. I have KAV installed on 5 PC's. I also have a couple of NOD32 licenses. Right now I'm weighing whether to switch all 5 over since I like the snap that NOD32 provides and I haven't seen any security downsides yet. I have a few months before I need to make that decision, so I can wait until both AV's have cycled through their current beta test period.

Blue

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I would go with NOD on this citeria. Further, coming from AVG free, KAV 4.5 may seem too complicated with its many configuration options.
    You can supplement NOD with the occasional background scan from an on-line scanner or a free on-demand Anti-trojan program such as Ewido, if you are worried about a trojan threat. But previously, if AVG seem to keep you malware free in your college network, NOD should have no problems :D

If you continue to practice safe hex, NOD should give you excellent protection.

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Actually at college I had McAfee, the school gave it to us, but I lost it when I reinstalled windows this summer because they did not give us a CD with it on it or anything. Since I reinstalled I have been using AVG, until I buy a better AV.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I was a little surprised that AVG kept you malware-free in a college network environment! Now McAfee is a top-notch AV, both against viruses and trojans but a bit more resource/memory hungry than NOD.

NOD and Ewido( the free on-demand scanner ) would make a good combination.

8. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Your browsing habits is good but this doesn't mean that such these habits will still the same all the time. Why don't you choose what gives you best overall detection rates that KAV can offer?

I used to try KAV 4.5 on my Notebook (Centrino, 1.3 GHz, 256 MB of RAM, Windows XP Pro) KAV pays nicely and doesn't slow anything down but I don't like its complicated interface (but powerful and more tweakability if you know how to deal with it) so I moved to KAV 5 and very impress with it and yes I notice a very litte slow down when open large files/programs but it isn't big deal.

KAV now updates hourly and NOD32's Advanced Heuristics is good but it doesn't cover all malware and doesn't succeed all the time. If you want real/strong/robust AV to combat aggressive malware (because virus/worm is not the only one in this world), KAV is the way to go.

KAV Personal 5 is simply the best AV + your safe hex, this is very strong your first defence line from malware.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Let me echo and expand on what Tap has said.

For simple surfing and e-mail your unlikely to see a major performance hit with KAV on a recent vintage machine. There were some very intensive applications that I run where I saw a decidedly perceptible performance hit with KAV. It's really critical to run the performance and compatibility field test with whatever solution you lean towards before purchasing. Get the trial license, put the application through the wringer, and then make the call based on what you see and what criteria you use to balance your objectives.

As I've said elsewhere, if safety were the sole criteria, everyone would drive tanks. They don't for a variety of reasons - some soft, some hard - even though virtually everyone would claim that remaining safe while driving is a key concern. The same is true of PC security software. It's a little bit of a contrived analogy, but it is useful to keep in mind trying to understand the diversity in basic design philosophies made by vendors and selected by consumers for this type of application.

Blue

10. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I use both NOD & KAV 5

I have to use KAV as main scanner and NOD as backup on demand otherwise computer freezes
    I would personally prefer NOD as main on access scanner with KAV as an on demand, but KAV's driver freezes the system that way
    and if I disable the KAV driver then KAV will not start as an on demand

Both are very good and both have good & bad points

Yes KAV detects more malware that aren't strictly virus, but NOD has better heuristics to detect

so take your pick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.