NOD32 not updating past 4219

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by The fox, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The fox

The fox Registered Member

A thing I only noticed just today, it appears my NOD32 isnt updating beyond the 4219 update, 20090705. After searching around abit on Google, I found that this has happened to people before and have attempted the solution which some have posted simply stating to hit the Update Now button manually several times, but to no avail. Will I have to reinstall NOD32 or is this some wide spread thing that will get fixed soon?

I attempted to clear the update folder then restarting my computer, now it wont update past 1869.¨

After franatically, and with some force might I add, punching on the keyboard and clicking on Update Manually it finally worked and pushed through all updates up until 4245, sorry about the thread but stress can do things to you.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you're not using Windows 9x/ME or have NOD32 2.7 for MS Exchange installed, I'd strongly recommend that you upgrade to v. 4.0.437. The most important difference besides much smaller update size is improved detection and cleaning.

3. The fox

So far the current version has been working fine, until these problems started to arise.

I now have a new problem, NOD32 doesnt update manually anymore and instead I am left to continously bash the "Update Now" button and hope that it will download the update. Anything I can do to fix that?

I might aswell add that, yes, it is set to update automatically, and it is set to find its own server to download
    from.

Once again, nevermind. After setting it to download off a specific server, its working like a charm. Ill try and experiment by setting it back to choose one freely again and see how it goes.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  4. The fox

NOD32 not updating automatically

I assume its better to start a new thread with the problem I am having so that people will actually notice it and, hopefully, help me.

Anyhow, after my problems specified in my other thread, NOD32 wont update automatically anymore. Infact, if I set it to find its own server to download updates from, it will simply say that NOD32 is up to date and doesnt need updating. However, choosing a server myself and then clicking "Update Now" will start downloading updates. Any thoughts on how to solve this?

And while I am on it, another question that has been nagging on my mind, I have installed a NOD32 over my current NOD32 twice, and got up to speed on the updates that day. However, what will happen to past updates? Are these overlooked and not included when I update NOD32 after I have installed NOD32 over it?

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Re: NOD32 not updating automatically

ESET servers seemed to be very busy last night . Now it looks like they are fine. NOD32 v2 used had such issues when there were busy servers .

As of past updates - nothing to worry about . As long as you have the last one - you have everything (including updates released before it) .

I haven't read your previous thread(s) but why do you use v2? Is this Windows 9x/NT computer we are talking about ? v4/v3 are much better when it comes to the updates.

6. The fox

I use v2 due to the fact that its served me well for so many years, I have just not seen any reason to change it. And after reading that later versions have problems and take up more resources, that merely adds to not wanting to update.

At any rate, I left it to, once again, find its own server to download off. I dont know when exactly it was released, but after napping for a few hours I return to find that it has not updated. Manually pressing the "Update Now" button made it download it however. Could the server load actually be so big that there is a, what I assume, several hour lag on when the update is downloaded onto some computers?

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

In my opinion , yes .

Please , uninstall ESET NOD32 v2 and reboot .
    Download and run WinsockXPfix utility (assuming you run Windows XP)
    Visit ESET's web-site and download either v3.0.684 or 4.0.437 .

v3 is just a little bit lighter than v4 (differences between v3 and v4)

At any time you can revert back to v2 but I strongly recommend you not to do . v3/v4 are better in many many cases (including detection/protection/stability/usability) . Sometimes the updates for v2 are too big comparated to a few kilobytes/megabytes which v3/v4 downloads. I am sure that you won't notice any slow down or problem.

I also recommend you run separate antispyware programs such as Windows Defender

8. The fox

I am almost 100% certain that some kind of virus/adware/spyware or the like is causing NOD32 to fail to download the updates, as they download just find when I hit "Update Now" and the fact that I have not visited any questionable sites in quite awhile now, along with using FF with several plugins to help stop viruses and other harmfull components.

This all began with the big update that was released a few days ago, I posted about my problem in this thread, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=247988 and that is when the problem began.

I'll just try to reinstall NOD32 over my current one and hope that it fixes itself, unless anyone else has any speculations on what could cause it?

And what exactly is the WinSock program, as in, what will it change? Will it only repair internet connection, or will it change other configurations related to internet, gaming, or internet connection in general?

Another thing I might aswell mention, NOD32 begun updating automatically for a day or two when I set it to a server I chose that it should download off, however it is no longer doing that.

And another thing that just came to my mind, could it be that the server load is so big for the update servers when a update is released that it takes it a hour or two for it to actually find a spot so that it can download the update?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You shouldn't specify a specific server, the update server should be left to choose automatically. And ASpace gave you the right advice regarding V3 and 4. Also the link he provided explains WinsockXPfix very well.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  10. The fox

When I try the WinSockXPFix it says that its not a valid Win32 program and refuses to run it.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What's the OS your running? It's fine for XP as ASpace said.

12. The fox

I am running XP, hence why I downloaded it.

13. jjavierv17

jjavierv17 Registered Member

Hi! I'm running XP too. I think I have a similar, perhaps the same, problem. Since almost a week ago, my EAV 4 doesn't want to update by its own. And when I click on "update now", it says it's already updated. The last time it updated manually was on July 13th. how could I fix this problem? I don't use any crack or fix. I don't support their use. Do you think the "winsock" you mention above could help me? Thanks!

14. The fox

Jjavierv, a temporare fix that I found was to assign NOD32 to a specific server to download from, perhaps thats something you could try, atleast until there is a more firm solution.

15. jjavierv17

jjavierv17 Registered Member

Hi, fox.
    No... I've tried one by one, and let it choose the server automatically and it doesn't work. I think there's something wrong with the computer, because since the same time, windows automatic update doesn't want to work. I go to windows update website and it says and error has occured. It always gives me the same error number, when I look for that number, it doesn't show anything. I surf the internet as I usually do, I update other programs, but neither windows update nor EAV update work.

16. The fox

I am no expert but try this, http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't see a single reason for you not to upgrade to the newest version . If you still have problems with it , you can start digging elsewherem , including searching for malware.

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Even the fact that v4 has significantly better detection of all threats (including rootkits due to improved Anti-stealth) as well as cleaning of persistent threats is not a reason?

19. The fox

Very well then, I will look into upgrading to v4, even tho I believe it is rather uneccesary, 2.7 has given me protection far beyond what I could ever have wished for, even more so when you also have FF installed and use it on a regular basis.

And for further notice, I just let NOD32 run a in-depth scan of my two drives, its currently proccessing D: but its mostly games on there which it looks like its currently going through. Nothing found so far, and neither did Spybot S&D.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.