Nod32 not detecting viruses

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Sweetie(*)(*), Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

I have a question about nod32 beta,
    i am running the latest ver with deep scan and adv heur, my system was acting funny so i ran online scan from Norton av, it picked up "backdoor.domwis" ,"w32.spybot.worm" and "backdoor.berbewI" six times.

other security software i use;

adaware
    zonealarm pro
    spybot

my question is, Is the norton scan for real or are they just trying to get me to buy their software, because Nod32 should have picked them up right?

also i had an unknown new heur virus with an extension .iiv
    it was attached to an mpeg file from winmx, nod32 got this one straight away.
    i realise that i should have sent a sample in to eset, but im only new to this sort of stuff, any help would be great, as im noy sure if i should continue to use nod32.

2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Virii which is not detected by NOD32 you can send in an archive (.zip) to samples@eset.com or samples@nod32.com (I would suggest the first e-mail address).

But, the strange thing is, I just checked with VGrep http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/vgrep/
    According to VGrep, NOD32 already detects Backdoor.Domwis as Win32/Wisdoor.H
    As for W32.Spybot.Worm, NOD32 should detect most of these variants using the advanced heuristics (isn't this enabled by default in new beta?)
    About Backdoor.Berbewl, I couldn't find any info on this...

Just to be sure, you could send in all three of them if you still have them somewhere on your hard disk (having them in a zipped archive is perfectly harmless).

EDIT: I forgot, this place http://www.virustotal.com/ is a good reference when checking files if they really are viruses or not. It has several different scanning engines there, including NOD32 (with advanced heuristics enabled).

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

4. Sweetie(*)(*)

Thank you for your help so far.
    i went to the virus bullletin page and it seems nod32 does not detect the "backdoor.berbew family" of viruses as most of the av's also dont.

Could i just ask for some advice, is Nod32 a worth while AV, because i dont want to continue to use it if it cannot detect viruses which are quite old.

i do really like nod32 though, but i would rather keep my system protected.
    i hope that ESET can pick up its game.

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I think most AV's DO detect these, NOD as Padodor as Blackspear told you and Panda detects them as Webber

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Nod32 is excellant anti-virus software and their trojan detection will vastly improve in the up and coming new release (in Beta at the moment).

Cheers :D

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

It's one of the better AVs out there. Currently though, non-viral (trojan/worm) detection is not as good as others on the market. You do have to take a minute or two to configure the application after you install it.

8. Sweetie(*)(*)

thank u all very much, i have decided to stick with nod32.
    can anyone recommend a good program to pick up the worms/trojans?

9. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Troian Defence Suite + NOD32 gives very good, layered protection against virii, trojans and worms (+ some exploits and adware).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.