NOD32 not catching latest IE exploit?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by RobOK, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

3. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't say it is quite moot, some of our machines are not set to Auto Update from microsoft because one of the auto updates was breaking something else (i think a wireless driver).

I would feel better if my antivirus could prevent it. As i understand it, NOD32 v3 proxies all web pages, so it seems this type of exploit would be in its sweet spot.

I hope they are working on it despite Microsofts patch.

Also, I don't know when MS's patch will get to me, what does it take for everyone to get updated, a week or so?

4. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Nod32 blocks that applications that are attempting to infect your system via the IE XML exploit; Antivirus software does nothing to close the exploit itself and any malware package could be using this exploit as its vector. I have seen several exploits using this vector get dropped on client machines today and yesterday, though.

If you want to lower your risk for this zero-day exploit and other buffer overruns, enable DEP and set it to OptOut or AlwayOn mode through the user interface or boot.ini file.

5. Togg

Togg Registered Member

Just go to Windows Update, use the 'Custom' option and collect the patch for yourself, that's what I did.

In fact that's how I always do updates, I don't allow Automatic Updating.

6. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.