NOD32 Network share scan (NAS)

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by stimpee, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stimpee

stimpee Registered Member

Hi,

I am currently trialing NOD32 for my company both for Workstations and for a file server we have running on a NAS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage). For the Workstations everything is going smoothly but I am yet to get the network scanning how I want it to work.

I have installed NOD32 on a workstation and set it to scan on execute/creation/open on a read/write network share on the NAS. When I download the Eicar test virus (with another workstation) and drop it into the folder that NOD32 is supposed to be watching, nothing happens.

I have excluded the local drives from this scan and made it just do network scans. I also dont want it to scan any other network scans other than X: but it wont let me exclude other network drives (AMON: Unable to exclude path and/or folder on a network disk. Please use Detection/Media/Network Tab instead.)

When it does work, is when i run a manual scan on the X: share. It then manages to rename the two Eicar tests that are not in zips and leaves the two that are in zips. I have set the Quarantine to X:/QUARANTINE and it makes renamed copies to there but I would like it to delete the viruses in X:

Am I doing something wrong? We really need an AV that can monitor and clean network shares on a NAS and I was hoping that NOD32 would be the solution as I have been using it happily on my Workstation.

2. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

3. stimpee

well, as im only using AMON and not the other parts of NOD32 most of the 4 pages were not valid but I seem to have set it up correctly (my screens look like the pictures in that thread). I did set up the on demand scanner to clean archives tho it doesnt help with the detection on access/creation which is what i want...

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You tried in with an unzipped eicar.com, right?

5. stimpee

I drop all 4 eicar files (eicar.com, eicar.com.txt eicar.zip and eicar2.zip) into the folder over the network.

If i drop the same 4 files over the network into a local hard disk share on the workstation with NOD32 installed on it, then NOD32 immediately spots the danger and clears up the files.

EDIT: im also reading (and seeing from the settings) that AMON doesnt scan inside zips (but IMON/DMON/EMON do). Is this still correct?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Nod32 is not going to find files that a third computer places on the NAS until the computer running Nod32 has occasion to access the share. (Excluding so-called NAS devices that are really full fledged servers)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  7. stimpee

So it cant monitor certain folders on a network? As the file server is a NAS it doesnt have its own OS that I can install NOD32 onto so how can you get NOD32 to monitor these shares?

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Closest thing to a simple solution that I can find right now is here. but I haven't given up that there may be a way to assist you yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.