NOD32 linux temporary system freeze on downloads - normal or abnormal?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rustleg2, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustleg2

rustleg2 Registered Member

I recently downloaded a trial version of NOD32 for linux and then installed it in Linux Mint which I am also trialling. So I'm not sure if this is a Mint issue or NOD32 issue.

When I downloaded a couple of files today, near the end of the download the system froze for a few seconds and the screen dimmed as if it was just about to go into screensaver (it is not a laptop so is not likely to be a power saving feature). I wonder if this was NOD32 intercepting the download and scanning the file? If so is this normal behaviour (no messages about scanning were seen)?

2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Are you using firefox? Im using chrome and no problems here

3. rustleg2

Yes. I tried Chrome but I went back to Firefox as it had a few more options that I wanted.

4. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi,

Does this mean that you were able to solve this problem? :)

Regarding your new issue, I'm running Linux Mint 11 with ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0.66 on a PC. With Firefox, I tried downloading some files and I didn't see any issues.

Does uninstalling EAV make any difference?

Thank you.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

I was wondering the size of the files you downloaded?

The larger the file the longer it is going to take to scan upon completion of the download.

The darkening of the screen you are talking about sounds very similar to what happens to my Linux laptop when the OS is waiting for a response from an application. In this case a potentially dangerous file.

I am unaware of the hardware specifications for this particular machine however, the, "temporary system freeze" as you describe it, can also be compounded by hardware limitations.

If you are downloading any sizeable file and it is taking just a few moments to scan, before saving that download to your file system, I would recommend just giving it a second to scan. Now if every file you download hangs the same, regardless of size then there is a problem.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  6. rustleg2

No I am multibooting. The problem in this thread is with my Mint system. The other thread refers to Debian.

I haven't tried that. I was hoping someone would say that my experience is normal. It's not a problem if it's normal.

7. rustleg2

Well that's interesting. Maybe this is something to do with it. In my case it's a desktop.

I've tried a few downloads. Sometimes the effect doesn't happen. One time I just got the dimming but the mouse pointer could be moved ok so the system didn't actually freeze.

However I've recently noticed that moving some files to the wastebin takes a few seconds, sometimes with a progress bar showing. This seems abnormal to me as there's no real data movement, just entries in the file directories changing, so it should be virtually instantaneous. So I am now wondering if I've got a problem with a hard disc. I'll have to check them out.

On the other hand this fits it with the first point about the OS waiting for a response. Maybe something is holding operations up. I wonder if NOD32 is doing this? Would it get involved in moving files to the wastebin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.