NOD32: Is updating from v 2.7 to v 4.0 really convenient for non expert users?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by neversaynever, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neversaynever

neversaynever Registered Member

Hi.
    It’s my first intervention in this forum (with my terrible English too) and I hope to have posted correctly.

I’m not an expert user. I use Italian version of NOD32 v 2.7, set up with the “Extra Setting Guide v.2 …” by Blackspear, and I’m very satisfied with it.
    The only modification is: in IMON HHTP setup, I use “High compatibility” instead of “High Efficiency” because with “High Efficiency” the automatic update of Windows XP SP3 doesn’t work.
    So when I must visit a new site or a potentially dangerous site, I manually change all my browser (Mozilla Firefox) processes only, from “High Compatibility” to “High Efficiency” for the time of linking and then I return to “High Compatibility”.

I realized that the Italian version v 4.0 has been launched last week. I read many comments and everyone pushes for the updating to the new version; but I have lots of doubts. Here are the main ones.
    - I don’t have any “Extra Setting reference Guide” like the Blackspear one for the v 4.0. Does it exist?
    - Does the “Extra Setting Guide for v 3.0” by Blackspear work also for v 4.0?
    - With v 4.0 can I pass manually from “High Compatibility” to “High Efficiency” for the Firefox processes only, as I usually do with v 2.7 when visiting potentially dangerous sites?
    - The call-center confirmed me that the kernel of v 4.0 is the same of v 2.7, and that I don’t lose anything in terms of security level if I don’t update. So why must I risk to have problems uninstalling v 2.7 that works very well and installing v 4.0 that (I don’t know) could create troubles? Updating often gives problems and I don’t want to risk with so an essential program like the AntiVirus.

Is there anybody that can advise me and make me able to take a “reasoned and informed” decision?

Thanks to whoever will answer my “probably stupid” questions.

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Version 4 offers better security than version 2 and version 2 is no longer being developed.
    Installation involves removing version 2 and installing version 4.
    Directions to install version 4:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2136
    Version 4 functions very well with the default parameters.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I second that, using default values will most likely be best for you.

4. neversaynever

Thank you Thankful and Marcos for your advice and your information.
    It’s coherent with what I already read in other forums.

But anyone never tells me the “why”.

Can anybody answers at least to the following three questions?

1. Does the “Extra setting Guide v 3.0” by Blackspear work also for v 4.0?
    2. You said that v 4.0 offers better security: but why (the kernel is the same), what are the reasons?
    3. Very roughly, what is the probability increasing estimation (from xx% to yy%) to block a virus, compared with the probability level estimation (zz%) to meet problems in the uninstalling (2.7) / installing (4.0) process? It is really convenient?

Thank you

5. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

1. Yes they will work, the same configuration options are available in V4. Default options should be sufficient, you may want to set cleaning levels to strict (automatic cleaning), thats what BS guide is all about anyways.

2. From what I read on the forums V4 kernel is different. It has (better) self protection and better cleaning capabilities then V2 to begin with.

3. I can not answer that but what I can tell is that uninstalling V2 and then installing V4 should not cause any problem. (installing over the top is not a good idea with this major version difference) You may want to manual delete left-overs in program files and all user data after uninstall of V2.

6. neversaynever

Thank you very much Brambb.
    I think I'll update!

What do you mean with "You may want to manual delete left-overs in program files and all user data after uninstall of V2.". How can I do that? Do you mean that after unistalling some garbage is left? Where can I find program files and user data?
    Sorry, I'm not an expert user ...

7. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Normally after uninstall the folder is left behind which could cause troubles installing another version.

Program files can be found under : "C:\Program Files\ESET\"
    All user data (for XP): "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET"

Delete those folders, detailed instructions can be found here.

8. neversaynever

Thank you very very much, Brambb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.