NOD32 install hangs

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Alien_chase, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alien_chase

Alien_chase Registered Member

Trying to install NOD32 v2.70.23 on new HP Pavilion w/ XP Home Ed. SP2. No joy:( . The install (setup.exe) hangs and needs to be ended in task manager. Attached is the log file generated using the /test parameter. I have tried numerous things including renaming HP's cloaker.exe file and killing various processes or services that might be interfereing, and completely removing the NOD32 directories and registery keys each time. Install always hangs at the same place.

I had no trouble installing NOD32 on an old Dell XPS R450 w/ Win2000 SP4, and a Dell Inspiron 8100 w/ XP Professional, both with Zone Alarm freeware installed and running. I wonder if maybe HP has too much garbage on their machines and it is causing this problem. Any ideas.

Alien Chase
    -On a Desert Highway

Attached Files:

2. greencoconut

greencoconut Registered Member

are you on admin account?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

4. Alien_chase

Alien_chase Registered Member

Yes, the "HP_owner" account is the startup Admin account with full privileges, however the system is configured for user fast switch without the alt-ctl-del login. Come to think of it, this could cause the problem. I'll have to check this out later.

No password manager installed. Unless there is something hiding in the registry that HP put there. (Note to self- next time I buy a new PC have the OS re-installation disks included and the first thing to do is re-partition multiple partitions, reformat, and re-install apps to avoid all the bolognyware.)

Microsoft has an analyzer (ADPlus) that will debug hung processes. Maybe I'll try it to see if it will give some clues. Note that the setup.exe /test log has 3 occurrences of an error:

Error: Couldn't open Administrator's XML : nod32.xml

Wonder why this is happening.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's not an error, the installer only informs you that no nod32.xml configuration with predefined settings was found in the install folder. If repairing Winsock doesn't make any difference, drop an email to support [at] eset.com with a link to this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.