NOD32 hangs up my new system

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by DougRees, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougRees

DougRees Registered Member

I recently upgraded my system to an AMD64 3500+ (Winchester) chip and an MSI K8N Neo2 MB (with an NVidia nForce3 Ultra chipset), plus 1 gig of dual channel memory and a 120 gig Seagate ATA hard drive. I am currently running XP Pro with SP2. Unfortunately, I found that when I installed my software, my system would "hang up". After considerable work, I discovered that the problem was with NOD32. The problem doesn't occur until NOD is installed, and stops once I uninstall the program.

I remain(!) devoted to NOD32, and have used it quite successfully for almost a year and a half. So I am understandably chagrined at this turn of events and hope that I will not have to use some other AV. If there is anything you can do to help me with my predicament, I would be most grateful.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

read this info at the link

3. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

you are on the cutting-edge.. :)

4. DougRees

Thanks for the help. However, the link refers to problems with NOD when running XP64. I am currently running the old-fashioned 32-bit version of XP Pro with SP2, so I am not quite sure how the information at that link addresses my situation.

Sometimes being on the cutting edge means that you bleed a lot!!!

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well that was as close as I could get on short notice. I will look a little deeper.

bigc

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

With this issue can you please send an email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread. If you do not hear from Eset within 3 days (allows for weekends), please advise us here...

We would appreciate if you could keep us in the loop with your progress, as we all learn this way…

Cheers :D

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First, please try disabling automatic AMON startup and quitting IMON, one at a time, and reboot the machine to see if the problem goes away. I have already seen with my own eyes NOD32 running flawlessly on a couple of AMD64 machines running WinXP SP2 so I assume there must be a conflict with another software you have installed.

8. DougRees

I believe that I may have found the problem. The MSI driver disk includes a number of utilities, including a program called Core Center, which monitors system performance and allows desktop overclocking (a feature I haven't used). I believe that there may be a conflict between that program and NOD32. I uninstalled Core Center last night, and haven't had a problem since.

I am glad to get NOD32 back!!!

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It's good to see you had a result and thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Cheers :D

10. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

Hey DougRees

It might be MSI's Core Center Application or it might be that there is a BIOS memory setting that you might have to modify ...Since you are running the "Winchester core " chances are MSI has posted a BIOS update that will fix some compatability issues with that CPU ....in particular as most ASUS board users found "compatability as well as stabilty issues" with the OEM board BIOS and the "Winchester core" . MSI might also have an updated version of it's Core Center App as well on their site.

Happy Holidays!

Saphire

11. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

1. Which filesystem are you using? (NTFS? are you having the necassry rights in your nod32-folder)
    2. Did you check the windows-eventlog ? Are there any messages which may help to get closer to a solution?
    3. Are you using a firewall which may blocks the update process from NOD32 totally? Try to disable the firefall for once and then start nod32 after. --> What happens now?

12. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Doug - I also got new "guts" for my box, similar to yours. MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, 3000+ Winchester, 1GB dual channel Corsair XMS, etc., etc., except U160 SCSI instead of ATA drives. I'm having absolutely no problems similar to yours. Here's what I did, so you can check against your procedure. Bear in mind that this is from memory, since I'm not at home right now:

SOFTWARE:
    Fresh load of XPSP2 and turn off XP Firewall
    Install NOD 2.12.3 and update it
    Windows update for all relevant patches
    ATI Catalyst video drivers (whatever the latest ones are)
    Install Corecell and LiveUpdate from MSI CD
    Update motherboard BIOS to 1.4
    Update relevant drivers from MSI, including the nVidia chipset drivers

BIOS SETTINGS:
    Cool 'n Quiet on
    Aggressive timings on
    Auto memory settings, except setting 1T timings
    Turned off SATA/parallel ports/onboard audio/nVidia LAN port

Probably a few other little things, but that's the basics. Haven't had a bit of trouble, except eyes blurring 'cause it runs so fast... :D

Also, have you run anything to burn in your rig? Memtest? PiFast? Anything like that to rule out another issue that might be manifesting itself as a NOD issue?

Hope that helped.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.