NOD32 for DOS?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by henryg, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henryg

henryg Registered Member

I haven't been able to obtain much information about NOD32 for DOS. Can it be run in WinXP? Is it possible to make a "bootable" disk and run this program to get rid of a stubborn virus? I've been using NOD32 for about a year and was just wondering about possible uses for the DOS version. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Henry

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

NOD32 for DOS is good version , it contains an exe file and one another file which is its signatures . However , NOD32 for DOS is no longer supported , which means no new definitions , old engine and no improvements . As you probably NOD32 relies on heuristic technlogies (the DOS versions has no Advanced heuristic-emulation) and the standart heuristics engine is too old . Even thought the above facts it has helped me plenty of times .

Yes , it can be run on any Windows versions,just start the exe file , goto the setup and configure it as you like it

Yes , you can . But you can do a bootable CD with the Windows version , too , which would perform much better than the DOS version because the Win version contains newer and improved engine and advanced heuristics ;)

Although it can be used in some ways it has no special function , function which cannot be taken from somewhere else . I myself have used it once months ago to scan with it and remove 7 or 8 Startion worms before loading the Windows version just in case . But I could have first installed the Windows versions and then perform full scan , it is the same ;) So , nothing special :thumb:

3. henryg

henryg Registered Member

HiTech boy,

Thank you very much for clearing things up.... It's too bad that ESET is not supporting it anymore. I thought that it was a great addition to NOD32.

Regards,

Henry

4. rjprice

rjprice Registered Member

It's true that there's no longer any updates to the engine, but if you also have the Windows version and if you put the DOS executable in the same folder, it will use the same definitions.

Richard

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , you can also copy the file needed and it will also use the same def. But is it necessary when in the same folder you have more powerful one called nod32.exe (the On-Demand scanner)

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome , Henry ! ;)

7. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Excuse me, Hi-tech, what shall i do to make a bootable CD with the Windows version? Do I still need to download the DOS version or it is not required? Many thanks

8. deimos

deimos Registered Member

You could use BartPE:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Nod32 for xp will run happily from memory stick. Just copy c:\program files\eset folder to memory stick, boot using bartpe image and scan&clean.

9. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

I see. Thank you very much

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , using a soft to make the CD/DVD bootable , just copy the ESET folder as mentioned by deimos in the CD . Then when you boot from the CD/DVD , run nod32.exe with commands.You can use these for example for perfect scan (v 2.7)
    Code:
    /local /adware /ah /all /antistealth+ /arch+ /clean /cleanmode /delete /heur+ /log+ /mailbox+ /ntfs+ /pack+ /quarantine /scanboot+ /scanmbr+ /scanmem+ /scroll+ /sfx+ /unsafe /unwanted /wrap+
    ;)

11. rjprice

rjprice Registered Member

True, but there can be advantages to booting into DOS to run your scan; see for example http://www.claymania.com/virus-specific.html#onde (admittedly a bit out of date now since it doesn't mention XP, let alone Vista!).

I take this a bit further and regularly make NOD32 for DOS 'rescue disks' using AVDisk (http://www.avdisk.org/pages/en/about.html), since my PC is so old that it still has a floppy drive.

Richard

12. deimos

deimos Registered Member

That article mentions booting to DOS because of inability do delete some files used by operating system (windows). However, if you boot from bootable image, no files are locked, your HD installation is not used at all. I think it's very old article...

13. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Thanks Hi-tech. Sorry for my limited knowledge, but how do you run NOD32 with those parameters?

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

When I burn the folder to the bootable disk I then load , I use command prompt to start nod32.exe and after it I type all these commands.
    Example :

Code:
    [B]D:\ESET\nod32.exe /local /adware /ah /all /antistealth+ /arch+ /clean /cleanmode /delete /heur+ /log+ /mailbox+ /ntfs+ /pack+ /quarantine /scanboot+ /scanmbr+ /scanmem+ /scroll+ /sfx+ /unsafe /unwanted /wrap+[/B]

15. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

While NOD32 for DOS is not updated as frequently as the other programs and does not have the same features are more recent versions (some features, such as the anti-rootkit technology, are only applicable to Microsoft Windows), it is still supported and the distribution package is revised periodically.

You can download NOD32 for DOS from the Registered User Download page at http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php, extract the files and then update its signature database to the latest version by copying over the NOD32.000 file from a currently updated version of NOD32 for Windows to the NOD32 for DOS installation directory.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.