nod32 for DOS update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by pupusse, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pupusse

pupusse Registered Member

I've downloaded nod32 for Dos (version 44475 october 2,2009).

As I can see , when downloading the DOS version ( with license codes from COMMERCIAL DOWNLOADS page) , it seems to be useless to copy/paste the nod32.000 file from a windows 2.7 version .It seems to ensure you to get the latest version.:)

Am I right ?

Thanx.

2. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

ESET NOD32 Antivirus for DOS can be updated by copying the files nod32.000 and nod32upd.000 from an updated ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 into the installation directory of ESET NOD32 Antivirus for DOS (the default installation path is C:\NOD32).

described here

3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

What's DOS? :eek: Are you upgrading a museum?

4. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

Or you just download it again when they update it, they usually update at least once a week the NOD for DOS. And just overwrite the 2 existing files and keep the config file in that directory.

5. ccomputertek

NOD for DOS is still very useful for people who continue to use a FAT32 filesystem, which i'm sure at least 50% of the world population still does.

you should consider yourself lucky that Eset still has this tool, most other antivirus companies dropped it within the last few years.

I'd actually prefer to do my on-demand scans from DOS for at least windows XP, but unfourtunatly windows vista / windows 7 force you to use an NTFS because the winsxs directory just has too many long file / folder names that take up too many directory entries in fat32, which is why you can't use fat32 with those os's.Believe me I tried to fake the install and started an install on a fat32 partition, it gets to about 75% and won't go further, just too many long file / folder names for the fat32 to handle, it won't happen on fat32.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

NOD32 for DOS doesn't take advantage of advanced heuristiscs and thus cannot detect threats with generic detections.

7. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

You sound surprised :rolleyes:

DOS and FAT32 are both archaic and unreliable, that is why the worls has moved on. Perhaps you are right, perhaps 50% of the world still uses FAT32. Well I support around 500 computer users, both commercial and domestic, and none of them uses FAT32. NTFS all the way.

Anyway, back on topic......

8. ccomputertek

mmmkay, well in most of the tech rooms where I have worked a few years ago, on computers we came across that still had FAT32, f-prot for DOS was our scanner of choice to clean infested pc's.

and It couldn't be beat...

to each his own on your choice of file systems, NTFS is far from perfect, I can list reasons to use FAT32 over NTFS and why...... but I'm not going to bother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.