NOD32 For A Newbie

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Shaker, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hi. I am fairly new to Wilders. I have been posting some in the Other Antivirus Forum. I am a Panda Platinum 7 user. My OS is XP Home/SP2.

I've also been reading a lot here in the NOD32 forum. It seems to get quite volitile sometimes. There seems to be a love/hate relationship. LOL.

I'm not really thinking of changing AV's at the moment, but I do have a question. How is NOD32 to a newbie NOD32 user? By that I mean, how easy is it to set up? With Panda, it's pretty straight forward. Not much thinking is involved. LOL. Would I need a degree in AV Tech to properly set up NOD32?

That's all the questions I have for now. Thank you. :)

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

NOD's default configuration is just so so. I agree that's there's not much tweaking with Panda, NAV, and McAfee. Panda is free right now, so it would be at the top of my "paid" AV. I've seen McAfee advertised for less than $10. This would be my second choice if there exist a conflict between Panda and your PC.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I installed nod today and had it configured in ten minutes. It does have a few settings but it is not to bad on configuration settings.

bigc

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Out of the box is ok, though we do prefer to tweak things up to maximum, see here for how to do so...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I test some AV's, maybe half, and thought that NOD32 is also the best in this area...

What AV or AV's do you think that is better about the configuration?

7. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

I've been trialling various AVs - KAV 5, Command, F-Prot and now NOD. I found NOD more complicated than the others, but Blackspear's guide makes it easy to set up. So far I'm happy with NOD, and once you know your way around it's good to have the configuration options.

Before anyone asks - it's looking like a toss-up between F-Prot and NOD.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I never tested the Command, but about the others, I prefer the NOD32 style...

9. MnSD

MnSD Registered Member

Shaker,
    probably somewhat like you, follow a few forums but I dont have the experience or knowledge of many posters here. I have been looking at new AV and Firewall software for a couple weeks. My NIS setup didn't like when I upgraded to XP SP2. The efforts to unistall and reinstall twice plus the drain on my system told me, it was time to look at the alternatives. Yah you have make a few click here and there with NOD32. But with the great guide I found here in the forum, it took about 5 minutes. To some I guess there are too many options, but for me the ability to customize with a little research, is great. I am running an Athlon 800 processor. In additon to NOD32, I am running TDS3, Pest Patrol, Outlook Firewall, Prevx Intrusion Detection,and an occasional Adaware6 and spybot scans.

M

10. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm not sure whether I'll give NOD32 a try just yet. I just went from Panda to NAV back to Panda in the last couple of weeks so I'm not to sure I want to try out another AV at this time. I will keep NOD32 in mind the next time I decide to try another AV. I do appreciate the input though. Thanks again.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

there are several av's that are equal or better to nods configuration. but I won't go into that here. to keep with the topic, I meant in the post that the configuration is not to bad to set up not that it didn't have many settings. actually the settings are very adequate.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

OK, thanks ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.