NOD32 + Firewall or ESET Smart Security

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by AdamL, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

Hi all :)

I hope this post is not in breach of the rules or in the wrong place :doubt:
    If it is please accept my apologies!

I am wondering what the opinion of the forum is on running NOD32 + a 3rd party firewall (for example maybe Look n Stop or Privatefirewall) as opposed to running ESET Smart Security?

Which would be the lightest on resources, has the quickest system start time?

Does anyone have any test data?

Thanks,

A

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have run Esets AV with PC Tools firewall, and with several others, and the reality is when it came time to renew my Eset license, I trialed the suite and firewall and and loved it. It was a no brainer, the firewall Eset offers is fine. Passes all of the Shields Up test to.

3. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

in my experience , from security point of different firewall is better

BUT

i always experience slowdown on installing separate firewall

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Let's start with two comments:

1. the firewall included in Windows 7/Windows Vista is a really good firewall, which greatly improved compared to Windows XP. Windows Firewall is the lightest firewall available, since it just integrated in the operating system. Also the filtering platform it uses is really good, there are several third-party firewall which rely on Windows Filtering Platform. For example PC Tools Firewall Plus, which is basically a heavy Windows Firewall in my eyes, with an easier to use user interface (compared to Windows Firewall with Advanced Security) plus some HIPS-like functions;
    2. modern routers include hardware firewalls, in my eyes the combination of the Windows 7 firewall plus a modern user is rock solid.

So if you are using Windows 7/Vista and you are behind a router, I would prefer the option ESET NOD32 Antivirus plus Windows Firewall above the option of using ESET NOD32 Antivirus with a third-party firewall, because that would only be heavier for your pc without improving security.

I would also always prefer ESET Smart Security above ESET NOD32 Antivirus with a third-party firewall, since ESET Smart Security is a really comprehensive solution, with a good firewall especially in Automatic mode (you have other profiles with more user interaction, or based on rules etcetera). Next to that is lighter than ESET NOD32 Antivirus with another third-party firewall, it is one integrated solution, and you won't ofcourse won't have (possible) compatibility issues.

The next step is to determine how much added value you perceive from the additional functions in ESET Smart Security: Antispam and in the upcoming version 5 probably Parental (with maybe more to come).
    If you do perceive added value, I would opt for ESET Smart Security.
    If you do not perceive added value, I would opt for ESET NOD32 Antivirus together with Windows Firewall and the router firewall.

If you are not using Windows XP and not behind a router, I would always opt for ESET Smart Security, or possibly if you are really positive about a particular firewall, for example Look 'n Stop or PrivateFirewall that could also be a solution.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  5. HankPiano

HankPiano Registered Member

I've used NOD32 antivirus and Look'n'Stop now for several years and I couldn't think of a better, lighter combination; Look'n'Stop is just over 1MB to download, like NOD it's a feather in your system, reliable, very easy to edit the rules etc.
    Strongly recommended :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.