Nod32 Firewall necessary?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Nuke, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

I apologize if this question has been asked numerous times in the past. I am thinking about downloading the new version of Nod32 with the new firewall etc. I am behind a router and I feel safe using the Windows XP built-in firewall. Will this new version of Nod32 be more lightweight using the new firewall? Do I need to do a custom install of Nod32 or is there a way to turn off the firewall when the program is installed?

By the way, I am using an iMac running Windows XP Pro in Apple's Boot Camp.

TIA.

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Try each of them to see which you prefer. There would be no point in spending the money to buy the suite of you only were going to turn off the firewall, save some money and just buy the AV in that case.

3. piranha

piranha Registered Member

Forget the XP firewall, it worth nothing.....

Click on this link, scroll down, view result......... XP SP2 firewall = 0 (zero !)

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests_overview.php

Comodo, Outpost, Look'N'Stop, ZoneAlarm..... almost any firewall is better than XP firewall ! Eset firewall could be better for sure !

BTW, iMac have a built-in firewall, just enabled it, I thinks you are protected while using XP.... or wait for other opinion or ask this question in a Apple forum

4. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

If you are behind a usual home-style NAT router (where you have to forward ports, etc.), you aren't paranoid about outgoing connections, and you're concerned about system resorces, then just turn off all the software firewalls and trust the router, it'll stop all your incomming threats.

If something gets in, NOD should catch it, preferably before it ever gets to call out.

5. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

Now I am thinking that I will download the 30 day trial version o Nod32 version 3, with the antivirus and not the security suite. One more question: does the new version 3 with the antivirus include an anti-spyware program?

I knew Leopard has a built-in firewall, but I did not think it works with XP in Apple's Boot Camp. If so, no point in having to software firewall running at the same time.

I have heard good things about Komodo.

Thanks.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

NOD32 does have antispyware capability.

7. poutine

poutine Registered Member

WOW !!! You must be pretty sure of NOD, i am behind a NAT router and theres no way i'd trust just that and NOD32 to catch everything , esp if you use p2p.
    Things slip by even the best AV/Spycatchers.
    I always use a good firewall with HIPS in conjunction with NOD32 and my router. ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  8. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Which one do you use Poutine?

9. poutine

Im currently using Comodo Firewall Pro 3.1.5.277 with NOD32 V.3.621.10 .They work very well together. :thumb:

10. Stijnson

Have you also tried NOD2.7 with any version of Comodo?

11. poutine

I used to, and i think they also play well together from what i've read. CPF 3 used a lot less memory to, about 7mb as opposed to 20mb in its version 2.

12. Stijnson

OK, thanks. I'm still looking for a software firewall to complement NOD2.7 and my router, but there are so many choices...I'm not a computer user who constantly tries and installs software, that's why I want to be careful with what I put on my box.

13. poutine

Do you image your drives ? If not just make a restore point.
    You can also download a CPF3 removal tool from here.
    Code:
    http://forums.comodo.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17220.0;attach=11005
    Uninstall CPF3 reboot and run the tool. ;)

Anyway give it a shot... try it out, most people love CPF3, and the forum rocks for help to. ;)

Hope it was ok to post a link to a zip. But If it gets removed, pm me.

14. Stijnson

Yes, I image my drives with Acronis True Image 10.
    Thanks for all the info. I'll read up on CPF 3 (and ZAP, and OA...:D ).

15. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Yet another sheep who quotes test results without any idea of what they mean.

16. piranha

:p I do know what they mean... XP firewall is no good, it is known all around the web

17. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The reason the XP firewall did so bad on this test is that it didn't filter or block any outbound traffic. Well the XP firewall was not designed to filter outbound traffic. Now the Vista firewall is a different story it does filter outbound as well as inbound and with the advanced security mode on it does a respectable job and it is configurable. and if you use Vista Firewall control app with it it is even better.

18. piranha

hum..... better to add passive protection with SpywareBlaster and immunization with Spybot. Fist of all, NOD32 is a AV not a antispyware

19. piranha

Sorry but i will never be confident with Microsoft apps for security. MS always patched their apps because of security failure so... I prefere third party security apps for AV, antispyware and firewall

Good if Vista firewall is better, i will wait for test and see but for now, no MS security app is sure for me

20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Of course its not an antispyware but it does have adware/spyware detection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.