Nod32 + firewall...issues?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Get, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get

Get Registered Member

I want to try Nod 32 AV again (I won it :D ), but when it became version 3 I guess there where issues with firewalls. You had to change settings or something like that. I didn't want to change my Outpost rules and still don't want to do that. Is it possible now to use Nod32 without changing rules in OP or making some of them inactive? In other words...can I use Nod as I was using it when it was 2.7?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As of Vista SP1, the http/pop3 traffic is no longer routed through a local proxy.

3. Get

Get Registered Member

I have xpsp2, so the "issue" still exists in my situation? Is there a workaround so I can just use it without this particular "issue"?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can configure HTTP / POP3 checking only for applications that you mark as Internet browser and email clients, all other applications' traffic will not be routed through ekrn.

5. Get

Get Registered Member

Ok, I will play with it :).

6. Get

Get Registered Member

I have installed it and configured it. Now I get a "rule-screen" from OP every time I go to a webpage (ekrn.exe). Do I have to give it browserrules? If I understand correctly when I do that everything I do with Thunderbird, Firefox, Opera and IE will go through ekrn.exe and the firewallrules for that programs have no effect anymore and all the other programs will still only go through Outpost and it's rules still are in effect?

7. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

For Win XP, applications like Thunderbird, Firefox, Opera and IE will connect through ekrn.exe (on default settings), so you should give to ekrn.exe browser and email client rules in Outpost.
    Bad thing is that for http/pop3 protocols, you'll no longer have effect from other Outpost rules for this applications.
    If you want explicit control in firewall for applications, you can disable http and pop3 checking in NOD32, but then you'll reduce NOD32 efficiency.

Straight answer, NO.
    When using Windows XP and NOD32 (from v3) you must make a compromise, better protection from NOD32 vs tight firewall rules.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  8. Get

Get Registered Member

Hm, that's not really nice, but to be expected. Will see what I'll do with it.

9. Get

Get Registered Member

I decided not to use it. I find it a pity, because besides the "issue" it's great. Will give it to a familymember now and when I switch to Win7 I will try it again.

10. PatG

PatG Registered Member

FWIW, I've been using Comodo free firewall 3.0, then 4.0 updated w/NOD32 and XP SP3 w/absolutely no problems. Just a thought.....

11. Get

Get Registered Member

Thx for the info, but I won't ditch Outpost. It's configured perfectly and fills "all" my needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.