Nod32 false positive

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jw232, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jw232

jw232 Registered Member

Nod32 gives me a lot of false positives on several applications where I use an "open containing folder" action. For example, in uTorrent, when I right-click a completed torrent and select "open containing folder", Nod32 gives the following alert message:

Object:
    C:\temp\rdl11B6.tmp
    Threat:
    Win32/AutoRun.FakeAlert.M worm
    Information:
    cleaned by deleting - quarantined

and instead of the correct folder being opened it goes to My Documents. Other programs that Nod32 does this with have a similar alert message. The object is always of type .tmp in C:\temp and the threat is always Win32/AutoRun.FakeAlert.M worm. When I disable Nod32 the alert messages do not appear but My Documents is still opened instead of the correct folder. How can I fix this? Thanks.

2. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Considering it's temp, I think you're actually infected with something...

3. jw232

jw232 Registered Member

I ran Avira and AVG and they didn't say anything. And if it is a real virus, I'm suspicious why it only runs when "open containing folder" is clicked. Nothing showed up when I scanned the temp folder.

4. Mitjko

Mitjko Registered Member

It doesn't mean it is false positive. I had much trust in ESET NOD32, but now I'm disappointed. My friend call me and told me he found a virus with his Symantec antivirus in one file which I sent him. I upload file here:
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    and the results are in the attached file. If there are more than 5 positive, then you're probably infected.
    Cheers

Snipped: link removed. Posting links to malware is against TOS. Remember that no AV detects 100% of all malware and what one detectes the others can miss and vice-versa. Please send the file in question in a password protected archive to samples[at]eset.com with this thread's url in the subject.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.