Nod32 failed

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by raakii, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Nod32 recently failed to detect a virus on my pen drive that caused a lot of problems.It is name Virus: TR/Dropper.Gen .This has been cleaned by avira.If such problems continue users discontinue using it.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Well, how do you know that it's not an FP? Have you already submitted it to samples[at]eset.com? This is a generic detection, I've seen dozens of files that we proactively detected and the AV you mentioned added detection after 1-2 weeks. It's a matter of fact that every AV misses threats, no one detects 100% of malware. We have thousands of examples where ESET is the only one or one of a few AVs to detect certain threats so I don't see any point in bashing and ranting here in the forum.

3. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I submitted the sample a week ago.Does ESS v4 provide better detection than nod32 antivirus.

4. Marcos

In theory, the firewall could prevent an already running malware from downloading the payload.

Please PM me the subject of the email or your email address so that I can look up your sample and check if it's actually malicious and undetected.

5. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

Avira is also great AV but it does suffer from a lot more false positives compared to ESET.

Look at the latest AV comparatives.
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests.
    I don't like to clean or delete anything an AV find right away till I verify that is is a virus/trojan from a few different sources.

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I am surprised that nod32 was not able find a autorun virus , its obviously not a false positive . The trojan than always locked my pendrive even after format( after having attacked the system) .I could never open the pendrive by double-clicking.Hence an obvious malware.Eset tends to be fairly complacent on minor malware tough major attack are pevented.

7. Marcos

Still waiting for details about the sample you submitted to samples[at]eset.com ...

8. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Sent again.

Snipped: a link to malware removed. Posting links to malware is against TOS

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  9. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

He wants to know your email address so he knows which is yours, pm him.

10. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I have PMed him. And sent the sample to eset too.Waiting for ur response. Around 150 computers in my lab are already infected.This is the reality check for nod32.

~Virus Total link removed per Policy.~

I come to know that this virus
    http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X1671012099714027321-X1/IMAGEVIEWER.EXE.html.here too
    http://www.threatexpert.com/files/imageviewer.exe.html
    is very famous one introduced long back.
    Eset comes in the league of infamous(not advanced) antivirus as far as detection of this virus is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.