NOD32 extremely slow on startup

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ja5983, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

Hey guys

I am running a Dual core 3.8Ghz pentium D, 2GB ram, etc etc.

When I boot up, the entire system boots up fine but NOD32 takes nearly 3 minutes to start. All the text in the splash screen shows up except on the bottom right hand side. that text doesnt show until it is fully finished starting up. I love NOD32 but this is getting to be a real hassle. I have tried the following:

remove and reinstall NOD32
    IMON repair
    LSP repair
    winsock fix

none have helped at all.

I have had no previous antivirus on this machine.

HELPP!!!!

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    What type of internet connection do you have? And how are you connected to it?
    Do you have multiple network adapters? If yes...if one is not used..is it disabled?

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This seems to be a compatiability issue .
    Do the following:

(1)Goto Start-> (All) Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information . This will make Windows show all your system info . Now File-> Save and save this on your Desktop , for example .

(2) Download HiJackThis from here
    Run it with Scan button only . Save a log file
    DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING ON YOUR OWN

Now , write an email to the ESET NOD32 TechSupport
    support@eset.us USA
    support@eset.sk Europe
    with an manual explanation of the problem , details and system-info files (1) and log file(2)

Good luck !

4. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

I have a wifi connection and ethernet. ethernet is rarely used and is not disabled.

I dont think this is a compatability problem as it didnt work even when i first installed it on a fresh OS install....

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Let me comment what you said .

Although I have never seen this , if your connection is ON and something tries to go to the internet and something is blocking it , and NOD32 is scanning it , this can make a problem . Moreover if your NOD32 is set to check for updates on every user log on and your connection is not stopped but active , NOD32 will try to update . You may have a firewall blocking it not because you have set it so but because it is slow and it loads later .
    That's why I suggest you send the Tech Support guys these log files so that they see what you have loaded and things like that and help you .This is absolutely anonimous and nothing in it can identify you personally.

I guess YeOldeStonecat meant that you should try to turn OFF your connection and then see what is the result . In XP , goto Control Panel-> Network connections -> right click on all i-net connections and choose Disable. Restart and how is now ?

I think you don't understand what a compatiablity issue is ? This is ^incompatiablity^ or sutuation in which you see them on the stadium
    NOD32 vs Software XYZ

As I said , the files that I suggest you send them will definitely help them understand a lot about your setup and it is anonimous. They can also ask you send them even more info by a diagnostic tool . So I think you can try what you were suggested , it won't hurt :D

Good luck !

6. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Go to Update --> Setup --> Advanced --> Internet Connection. If it is set to "LAN/fixed line", try changing it to "Dial-up".

It could be that NOD32 is trying to update itself through the disconnected ethernet connection, and this is responsible for the delay. By changing it to dial-up, this changes the update behavior, and the wifi connection acts more like a dialup connection, anyway. (At least is does for WinXP, this is supposed to change in Vista.)

7. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

hi tech,

i have probably worked in IT longer than you have lived. i know what compatability is. i forgot to add that last windows install it worked fine.

8. YeOldeStonecat

Just for a little test....plug in your wired connection.....disable your wireless...reboot..and see what happens.

My "hunch" is...you have 2x things going on...one "unused" connection is not disabled...and your wireless connection is your primary. Wireless takes quite a bit longer to fully "load up". Even though you're looking at your desktop...takes a while for WZCSVC to fully fire up and get traffic flowing.

When you reboot each time..you'll see the NOD32 load screen as it checks the public update servers for updates...it'll sit there for a bit until it downloads them...or time out after a bit.(depending on which connection type you choose...dial up selection would nix this)

9. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

my only question then is why do my other PCs not exhibit this problem and why did this PC only exhibit it after reload? I did try disabling wireless and disabling both connections and neither helped.

10. YeOldeStonecat

Define what your "reload" was. Guessing you are referring to a reinstall of Windows? On top of itself? Or was this a fresh reinstall? Did you just do a "quick format" or a full format prior to reinstalling Windows?

Appropriate chipset drivers, latest in all other drivers (Device Mangler isn't loaded with yellow ? marks) service pack 2 and all windows udpates?

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I'll 2nd this advice.

Cheers :D

12. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

dial up and disabling unused network connections did not fix.

13. YeOldeStonecat

See my question 3 posts up. ^^^ :D

14. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

full reformat - over an hour of waiting for the format to finish since i have a 1TB raid...all drivers are from the MFG website, newest non beta drivers.

15. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Your issue sounds like a issue with the startup of network drivers as others have hinted towards and as has been seen occasionally in the past.

What OS are you running there? I'm guessing if it's a server OS then you have IMON totally disabled (grey icon and reboot) right?

I'm very inclined to agree with anything Blackspear suggests. Ordinarily for WiFi links I personally use the 'Other eg. portable' setting in the update advanced settings - same as if the link is via VPN that does not 'dial in' via windows DUN...

If the above offer no improvement, I would be interested to know what the result of using something like 'Startup Delayer' from r2 Studios to space the starting of your WiFi from NOD32. My suggestion would be to have NOD32 start first and your WiFi as late as necessary to enable NOD32 to fully start before your PC even looks at the WiFi startup and with only applications dependant on the WiFi (often there's none) starting after it. Other network utilities can also interfere greatly at startup. HTH.

Cheers :)

16. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

It is XP pro, i have IMON enabled but have tried with it disabled and had the same issue.

I have tried with wifi disabled and it hasnt helped at all. also changed the update pattern.

The other thing is, I have 3 other computers, all on wifi, running NOD32 and none have the same issue.

17. NOD32 user

Ok.

Other 3 computers on the same WiFi hardware and drivers?

Also Windows is known to make it's own deciscions about startup order as it sees fit via boot optimisation 'feature' (and change it periodically) so there's really nothing to say that the same install process will result in the same startup order.
    Ruling out hardware issues as highly unlikely it really leaves just 2 things - drivers and applications. Given what you've already tried, I would really recommend trying Startup Delayer - just take a stroll through it's inbuilt help for direction where needed.
    You can do a basic configuration just to set the order you want (remembering the suggested order above) without worrying too much about the time each item is given. Then sort the list by time and hit 'Space Evenly' from the advanced menu. Usually 2 to 4 seconds is more than ample but for the purpose of getting your issue sorted please try going with even as much as 8 or 10 seconds initially. This can be reduced later if it's successfull in getting NOD32 up and running.

If you find in trying it that you don't get any change in your NOD32 startup I'd be glad if you'd post us a screenshot of your Startup Delayer config to help get a better idea of what may be going on.

If others disagree I'd be glad to hear their thoughts...

18. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

one is on the same wifi hardware and driver, the other are on different.

im gonna give startup delayer a try. see if that fixes it right now.

19. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

if anything, that slowed it down. i set the wifi to a 15 second delay and nod32 to immediate startup.

20. NOD32 user

and everything else spaced nicely as well? Since the Wifi is the most likely thing mentioned so far, but it could be most anything running at startup.
    Otherwise try it the other way around - WiFi first and NOD32 Control Center late enough that the Wifi would have enough time to entirely start before NOD32 (not having the Control Center running does not impact immediately upon protection).
    What we're trying to do is not just space the WiFi and NOD32 startup but find out if anything at all is causing a startup battle by spacing everything... ?

21. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

everything else is spaced out at about 4 seconds. ill try setting wifi first.

22. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

What other programs do you have automatically starting up?

23. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , guys , I have asked the OP to send HJT log and System info file to the TechSupport so that they will understand what he has auto-starting .

24. ja5983

ja5983 Registered Member

i sent them system info, belarc, and HJT. they have so far been pretty much telling me to do exactly what you guys already said..just a few steps behind

my startup items are:
    AIM95
    CFTMON
    PrevxOne
    Startup Delayer
    CCleaner
    Nod32
    Nvidia nTune
    DeadAIM
    Nvidia Control panel
    sound manager
    smart wizard for netgear wireless
    spyware doctor
    diskkeeper systray

25. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Try the following:

Disable half of the autostart programs (apart from the wireless)

if NOD still starts up slowly then enable those disabled and diasable the half that was enable (apart from the wireless).

If NOD still starts up slowly then diasble them all (apart from NOD and wireless) and see what happens.

Are you using windows to manage your wireless connection or the netgear software? Try using Windows for it.

Let us know how you get on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.