# NOD32+ Diskeeper 9 + P /// = boat anchor

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by enduser999, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

I have a friend who is/was using the trial version of NOD32 on an older computer. P///-660 w 512 MB ram. Well today they decided to defrag a 92.5 GB partion which is 41% empty using Diskeeper 9. Well after 7 hours Diskeeper was only 24% done with the defragmenting and they asked me to take a look at the computer. I noticed that the NOD32krn process was occupying 15+MB of memory even though the NOD32 control center had been shutdown 7 hours ago. They had also shutdown all of the other unnecessary tasks. Well I decided to try something. I quit Diskeeper and went into services and disabled the NOD32krn process, restarted the computer, shutdown the unnecessary applications. I then ran Diskeeper on the same partition and lo and behold the remaining defragmenting completed in less than 20 minutes!

Is this normal with NOD32 and disk defragmenters that NOD32 causes the computer to come to a crawl?

o_O

2. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I use diskeeper 9 latest version and it has never shown a problem with NOD32 either in manual defrag or scheduled defrag.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

NOD is the ONLY antivirus I've used that doesn't interfere with disk defragmenting programs.

4. enduser999

I see that djmorgna's hardware is nowhere similar to this persons old P///. Ronjour is your computer hardware similar to the P///? They by the way have 512MB of ram and Win2k SP4.

5. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Same here and I use DisKeeper 8 Pro...

6. enduser999

High end computer hardware can compensate for high computer resource usage. I need to know the computer hardware specs for those of you who are replying to this thread who have no problems.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

AthlonXP 2000+. XP home, 512 ram.

I would say something else is causing the slowdown with the defragmenting.
    I know there have been posts in the NOD forum that mention Diskeeper. It may be a conflict of some sort.
    Do a search in this forum for diskeeper.

8. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I tested Diskeeper 9 and never had a problem with it.
    I´m using PerfecDisk 7.0

Best Regards,

DonKid.

9. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

until NOD32, I'd suspended disk defrags - we now run regular defrags on 80gb drives with NOD32 installed on all machines. I have this setup on everything from 750mhz duron file repository machines, up to production machines with P4+1Gb RAM - so they kind of fit in below and way beyond the spec of the machine that's having problems....

OP: are you at the latest version on NOD32, or a little behind?

10. enduser999

They are using 2.50.19 of NOD32 trial. Regarding defragging are you simply using the built in Windows defragger or is it a commerical product that you are using.

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I have used NOD32 and Diskeeper together since Diskeeper 7 and have never had a problem with it. my system is not super fast my any means and it never slows down. I have my DK set on "Set it and forget it" and runs during screensaver mode.

No probs here :D

12. webyourbusiness

perfectdisk 7 commercial solution - windows defragger isn't worth wasting time on in my experience - practically zero improvement in disk performance... ymmv

13. enduser999

I tried PerfectDisk a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. The product would go through the process of analyzing the computer in question, Win2k, and tell me that it required to do a offline defrag on several partitions. Well every time it BSOD after apparently finishing the defragging. I contacted their support department and they had no solution.

:(

14. psychoticpickle

psychoticpickle Registered Member

I can verify that I have the latest version of Nod32 and Diskeeper 9 - no problems to report.

15. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I don't think it's NOD32 problem since Windows's defrag is made by the same company of Diskeeper.I prefer PD, since it doesn't need to open ports like Diskeeper needs to.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  16. enduser999

Sigh..Nod32krn service was using 15MB of memory and the process had taken 7 hours to MANUALLY defrag approx 24% of this partition on this computer . I prevented the process from starting up on bootup and rebooted. Once that was done the defragging did the remaining portion of the partition in question with 20 minutes.

As I previously indicated this is an old machine and I was doing a manual defragging on a partition. Posting that you aren't having any problems without telling me the hardware specs and whether you have done a manual defraggin on a partition near this size is not at all useful in solving what it happening here.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  17. webyourbusiness

For best results, any windows boot disk can only be COMPLETELY defragged with an offline defrag - pagefile etc, can not be moved while windows is using it. I've never had a problem with our systems, but we don't have the whole disk as the C: drive. I also appreciate that the BEST product is probably diskeeper - cost being the main difference - their licensing models prevent us implementing the BEST defragger - it's certainly BETTER, but not THAT MUCH better that we'd switch at this point... not while we derive moderate disk improvement from the more cost effective solution we currently have. At 12 workstations, perfectdisk (Raxco) is about half the price of diskeeper (Executive).

We've never had any "issues" with perfect-disk.... either before or since NOD32.

18. enduser999

Well it looks like my friend will be trying another anti-virus as they are only using the trial of NOD32 and can not afford these horrendous defrag times. It appears that their problem is unique since no one else has reported this problem with similar hardware.

:(

19. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My 2 cents, I'd use Nod32 and forget the defragger, use the default XP defragger. Add to this sending an email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.