NOD32 conflict with Antivir on-demand/solution! SB tip!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by scottls, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottls

scottls Registered Member

XP SP3 (fully updated), Online Armor v2&3 (both) paid (with or without HIPS enabled/OA shutdown), Spy Sweeper v5.8, SandBoxie v3.32, N32 (anti-virus only).

History, and my soultion-
    1. N32 v667 (v672 too!)- I WAS having problems with my OE6 email "not always (?)" putting the "scanned by N32..." message on the bottom of received/sent email?!!! Msmin.exe was checked as email client in settings...
    a. I contacted N32 support with sys info..., and they suggested trying a clean uninstall & upgrade to N32 v672?
    I uninstall N32/OA, and do a thorough cleanup (I'm a software tech).

b. As soon as go to install v672- It pops up and says "Detects Antivir...?"?
    I double check to be sure that free Antivir is on-demand, and click Ignore. Complete N32 installation, and new settings...

2. Still bad?!- N32 now shows on the OE6 email page, but scanned by N32 msg is still intermittant? (I have not yet reinstalled OA)
    I start "closely" watching Process Explorer ("nifty" free Task Manager...!), and 8min in Antivir is showing BIG cpu activity (put mouse pointer on cpu spike)o_O-
    ALL Email sent/received "after" this activity, always has the N32 msg!?

FIX!- I uninstall Antivir/clean, and ALL email msgs now always have the scanned by N32 msg! :eek:)
    I reinstall Antivir/on-demand, and intermittant N32 email msg problem comes back! I uninstalled Antivir for good!

What free on-demand anti-virus plays nicely with N32?-
    According to latest AV-Comparitives- Antivir is the only free antivirus (no POP3) with a better detection rate than N32o_O
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_11.php
    Note: They only rate Antivir as Advanced, because of many FP's?- I have NEVER gotten FP's with their "Standard" scan settings (Advanced yes)!
    N32 has to do better, or I'm going to Antivir after my lic expires!
    :eek:?
    ~~~

SanBoxie free tip!- AFTER you get the 5sec grayed-out nag screen, wait ANOTHER 5sec before you click to open- SB will now be FAST, and less problematic... (this could be from my OA?)!

2. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

You're not supposed to use more that one AV product at the same time, it will end up in problems.

3. scottls

scottls Registered Member

You are not "supposed" to use more than one "active" anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewall/HIPS, at the same time!

Antivir on-demand, sure was the exception to this rule!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I am assuming that by "N32" you mean ESET NOD32 Antivirus, is that correct?

What is the complete and exact message you received from ESET NOD32 Antivirus?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.