NOD32 Breaks my wifi connection.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by IsLNdbOi, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

IsLNdbOi,

Sorry for the detail questions, but I've simply seen too many threads where the questions and answers were actually focused on and discussing completely different topics.

The purpose of my question revolved around the two levels at which IMON can be disabled. One basically deactivates the IMON entries in the Winsock LSP chain, and the other (when you actively unload IMON, not NOD32, but IMON only and then reboot) is when the IMON LSP's are removed from the chain. All the questions around this focus on whether this LSP chain is broken, i.e. one of the needed hand-offs doesn't occur. That doesn't seem to be the issue.

There is certainly a conflict somewhere. From you previous posts, you had been using NAV as a part of NSW. After the uninstall of NAV, did you perform the manual cleanup of the registry and folder removal as suggested by Symantec here . It is a shot in the dark, but Symantec is notorious for leaving pieces behind which wreak havoc with other applications.

Blue

2. pepito

pepito Registered Member

I had the same thing happen to me last year,ie. wifi connection not working while NOD32 installed.

I tried everything people are suggesting in this thread but nothing worked except leaving it uninstalled and using another virus scanner on that particular setup.

It's not often I let something beat me but it was taking too long to get to the bottom of it and I had to get the system out.

I'll follow this thread with interest.

3. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Registered Member

I've tried all suggestions in this thread already and nothing has worked. I really wish NOD32 would work for me. I guess I'll be asking Eset for a refund. Now comes the hard part: finding a new AV that I like.

NOD32 does work though when I connect via ethernet cable. I need wifi though because I don't want to run an ethernet cable all the way from the first floor to my room upstairs on the opposite side of the house from where the router is.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you sent off an Email to support@nod32.com ? I'm sure they will be able to resolve your issue.

Cheers ; D

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's been already asked, but no answer has been posted: Have you tried installing NOD32 beta 2.50 to see if it makes a difference?

6. IsLNdbOi

Well, I'm about to give up on NOD32. Tried the beta and still the same problem. I've sent an email to support.

A new problem I have is that when I'm playing any of my online games, they run really slow when NOD32 is on. If I disable IMON while playing, it fixes the slowness, but what's the point of having IMON and other NOD32 features if I have to disable them when I'm doing things?

Also, I've noticed that it takes windows longer to startup now with NOD32 installed than when I had Norton SystemWorks 2005 installed. Taskbar icons for some of my programs don't load now either.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  7. BlueZannetti

IsLNdbOi,

Since you're now playing online games, although slowly, when did you start to get connectivity? Is this wireless or with a hard line?

Blue

8. IsLNdbOi

This is with an ethernet cable through my ethernet port. I still haven't resolved the wifi issue.

9. BlueZannetti

IsLNdbOi,

Would it be possible to post a screen shot from the task manager similar to the one I've prepared below. Note the columns shown, that the sorting is done on CPU time, and that the system has a few hours of uptime.

If your system is slowing this might show where the slowdown is occurring with respect to process CPU time consumption.

It is curious that wifi is hammered while a normal hardwired line is fine (although maybe slow). That would seem to point to a conflict that we're all missing here.

Blue

Attached Files:

10. IsLNdbOi

Well, I think I've finally found the problem. It's been IMON this whole time. Apparently, I haven't been unloading it correctly (even though you gave me the instructions). I unloaded IMON correctly and my wifi just magically started working. I then enabled IMON and disabled the HTTP scanning options, restarted and my wifi wasn't working again. I then again unloaded IMON and my wifi started working.

Also, I just now saw this error message when IMON was enabled and Windows started up. It was a small dialaog box titled "Error":

Could not start DB server: socket() failed.

I noticed when unloading IMON, there was a dialog box that had something about sockets in it.

This sucks because IMON is one of NOD32's features that I don't want to disable.

Here are some screenshots anyway (first one is in PNG format and second one is JPG):
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/IsLNdbOi/Task_Man.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/IsLNdbOi/Task_Man.jpg

~added smaller gif so as not to blow margins....Bubba~

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2005
  11. BlueZannetti

I noticed that you are running inetinfo.exe. Are you running a server of some sort?

A couple other things while I think of it. One instance of svchost.exe is consuming all the resources. Take a screen shot with ProcessExplorer in which you've enabled (View>Select Columns>Process Image) the Image Path and Command Line. Also, that's a very lean configuration. Have some services been purposely disabled?

Blue

12. IsLNdbOi

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2005
  13. BlueZannetti

IsLNdbOi,

In the beginning of debugging, you noted that you didn't have a firewall active. Kerio Personal Firewall appears in the latest screen shots. Is this a new addition or was it present throughout?

Blue

14. IsLNdbOi

The Kerio is new. Installed it last night.

15. BlueZannetti

OK, just verifying that it wasn't the cause of the problem.

I was hoping to see something pegging the CPU in that shot, no such luck.

The only thing that I see that doesn't really appear to belong is the inetinfo.exe This generally isn't installed on home machines, but is if you are running a web server. That's about the only thing I can point to as potentially a cause of your problem. It makes a certain amount of internal sense that this may be problematic with IMON.

Since this is not part of a standard XP Pro install, you could see if disabling this service (I assume you can do that in a benign fashion from the Admin tools) resolves the problem.

Blue

16. IsLNdbOi

I went to Control Panel, then Add or Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows Components.

I see that everything for "Internet Information Services (IIS)" is enabled. What is IIS for? If I uncheck everything in IIS, will it get rid of inetinfo.exe?

17. BlueZannetti

I believe that is the case. Let's say you want to set-up anonymous ftp access to a PC on a LAN, IIS is where this is accomplished, among other things. Strange that everything is selected if it was not deliberately enabled. A screen shot from my system is below. Nothing under IIS is enabled, and generally that should be the case of a home PC.

Blue

Attached Files:

• iis.png
      iis.png
      File size:
      23.8 KB
      Views:
  18. IsLNdbOi

Ok. I found something else. When IMON is enabled I can't even get to the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog. When I click on it, nothing happens. I opened task manager and it is running, but it never shows up. When I unloaded IMON, I was able to get into the Add/Remove Windows Components.

I went ahead and unchecked IIS. In my computer, everything in:

"Management and Monitoring Tools"
    "Message Queuing"

are checked / enabled. In "Networking Services" everything except for "UPnP User Interface" are checked / enabled. Should I uncheck everything in:

"Management and Monitoring Tools"
    "Message Queuing"
    "Networking Services"

as well?

19. BlueZannetti

Without knowing everything about your system and configuration, I'll say it depends. I have a very vanilla XP Pro SP2 installation. The following items are not checked:
    • Fax services
    • Indexing service
    • Internet Information services
    • Management and Monitoring tools
    • Message Queueing
    • Other Network File and Print services
    The following items are completely checked:
    • Accesories and utilities
    • Internet Explorer
    • MSN Explorer
    • Outlook Express
    • Update Root certificates
    • Windows Media Player
    • Windows Messenger
    Networking Services is partially checked with Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client as the only checked subentry.

Blue

20. IsLNdbOi

Ok. I set my windows components like yours. Still IMON keeps the wifi from working. What about that error I was seeing?

At Windows startup, I see this error message when IMON is enabled. It's a small dialaog box titled "Error" and it says:

Could not start DB server: socket() failed.

I noticed when unloading IMON, a dialog box pops up and I do see something about sockets in it.

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  21. IsLNdbOi

Finally got it working. I uninstalled v2.12.3 (the version I got to download after purchasing it the other day), then ran CCleaner, RegScrubXP and NT Registry Optimizer. I then installed v2.50.9 beta then restarted. After restart, I ran the three programs again to make sure my registry was clean, again restarted. After this final restart, everything was working. My wifi works now and all my taskbar icons load and I have all features of NOD32 enabled (including IMON).

Thanks to everyone that has replied to this thread. ;)

22. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Happy End:)

23. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Great to see IsLNdbOi, and thank you for persevering, it will help others that should come across this same issue...

Cheers :D

24. IsLNdbOi

I'm just happy that I have a very good replacement set of apps. for that bloated SystemWorks 2005! :p

25. BlueZannetti

Great job IsLNdbOi! You will notice quite a difference :)

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.