NOD32 and ZoneAlarm's AV

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by pvsurfer, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I have NOD32 v1.881 and I have a couple of questions...

Firstly, besides scanning for viruses/worms, does my version also scan for malware? o_O

Secondly, I just received Zone Labs Security Suite (a birthday gift) which incorporates an AV scanner in additon to the ZoneAlarm firewall. Is it ok to load both this AV and NOD32 at startup, or can this bring about problems? :eek:

Thanks in advance.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

pvsurfer

NOD is adding spyware and keyloggers to their definitons with each update.

NOD Press

You will have a conflict if you run two antivirus programs realtime. If you want to use both, make one of them on demand only.
    In addition, NOD does not get along with some antivirus programs just being on the disk.

3. pvsurfer

Ron~ Thanks very much for the feedback. From what you've told me, I guess I will continue to use NOD32 as my 'real-time' scanner and just use ZL's scanner 'on-demand' - as a check and balance (as long as that's ok). Actually, if I didn't like the ZoneAlarm firewall as much as I do, I'd probably just discontinue using the ZL Security Suite!

Btw, being new to this forum, I never knew there's a NOD v1 and v2; what's the difference?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

NOD version2 is much more comprehensive with many options. NOD once was mostly a heuristics based scanner and a good one. Now, they have added adware, spyware, trojans to their definitions to go with the already great heuristic engine. It is as speedy as ever. The gui is improved with just one tray icon instead of several as before.

If you are a licensed user, all you have to do is enter your info and download the newer version.

Here is a link to settings on the new version put together by Blackspear.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

5. pvsurfer

In other words (for a simple-minded guy like myself), v2 is better than v1?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Much better without a doubt.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

What version are you using?

If you are still using version 1, are you aware that you are entitled to a FREE upgrade to version 2, so long as you have a current license...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

8. pvsurfer

Now using v1.882 - which, until yesterday, I believed was latest version (I wasn't aware of v2)!

Thanks for the tip - Ill visit the site and d/l v2 (as long as it's free to registered v1 users)!

Final question for you gurus... In AV testing that I've come across on the net, NOD32 doesn't rate nearly as well as Kaspersky. Any idea why? o_O o_O o_O

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Depends on who you ask. This would be a good question for the other anti-virus software forum. You will definitely get some opinions there. It has been discussed many times.

10. sapperdeflabber

sapperdeflabber Registered Member

I did a very thorough evaluation of all packages (took me 14 days to get all the data and pour it into scientifically accepted statistics and conclusions); Nod32 is among the top.

Aside from that, I just like it that their are actually living human beings working there, instead of web wizards that don't give the right answers to problems (like certain HUGE AV-vendors we all know about;-)).

11. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

How do you rate ZA's AV... is it comparable even to Norton? (because it DOES clash with it... won't run if Norton's even installed your PC)...
    hey sapperdeflabber couldya post your report (if its not confidential/contains sensitive data...I'm guessing you did an inhouse eval. for your company)

Edit
    It's probably because MANY people rate the product with a VERY high weightage in testing given to update procedure. Many people are extremely uncomfortable with updation that requires you to connect to the servers (as in NOD32 and as opposed to NAV which allows donloads of "Intelligent Updater)...Dunno about Kaspersky tho'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.