nod32 and windows antispyware

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by whereswally, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whereswally

whereswally Registered Member

Hi

I have installed nod32 AV and this also comes with antispyware , is it best to disable windows defender or should I leave both running side by side?

It doesn't report any problems just that there are two antispyware programs running which could slow down you pc.

Is windows defender needed as well?

I'm running windows 7.

many thanks

2. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

You can use the HTTP scanning on EFSW, you must make sure that you have the following MS Hotfixes installed:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981889

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979223

However the Eset real-time protection will automatically scan any files downloaded by users anyway, the HTTP scanning will give you scanning of the files as they are downloaded as opposed until they've been download and scanning the web pages for iframe/js etc but anything they try to do the real-time should again detect.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

To put the above statement right, web protection is another protection layer which adds extra protection against newly emerging threats that other modules may not necessarily recognize yet.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Under Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Defender does not interfere with ESET NOD32 Antivirus and can be left enabled on the system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. whereswally

whereswally Registered Member

thanks for the responses , Im aware that windows defender seems to run fine alongside nod32 AV on windows 7 but I just want to know if its needed as well?

does it add extra protection or should I just turn it off?

thanks

6. manak

manak Registered Member

7. agoretsky

Hello,

Windows Defender provides an additional layer of protection. While I cannot recall seeing it report a threat first, unless you are having sort of issue with it, I would suggest leaving it alone.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. Rich M

Rich M Registered Member

It's a personal opinion but since I am on many forums and I have never seen Windows Defender do anything but aggravate others with notices of failure to update I always shut it down on all systems.

In Windows 8 where is it actually the Antivirus it should remain off if you use Nod32 but it is worth checking that as I don't like assuming anything on a pc.

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

10. Rich M

Rich M Registered Member

None of the address links you posted suggest in anyway that you can run NOd32 with WD in Windows 8 and frankly I think that is poor advice to any user. If WD is an Antivirus, no one out there would ever suggest running 2 Antivirus programs on any system.

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

This is a frequently asked question and the answer will always be the same regardless of operating system, Windows 7 or Windows 8. They may be run in tandem with no ill side-effects.

12. agoretsky

Hello,

Just to clarify, under Microsoft Windows 8, Windows Defender is a different program. Prior to Windows 8 (Windows 7, Vista, XP and, yes, 2000), Microsoft Windows Defender (and its predecessor, Microsoft AntiSpyware) was a companion program to your existing anti-malware software that just handled spyware, which, at the time it was developed in the mid-2000's, as perceived as a problem not being adequately addressed.

In 2009, Microsoft released a full anti-malware program, Microsoft Security Essentials, as the free replacement for Windows Live One Care. Last year, Microsoft bundled Microsoft Security Essentials into Windows 8, but renamed it was Windows Defender, so what you actually see included in Windows 8 is a re-badged version of Microsoft Security Essentials, and not an updated version of Windows Defender.

As far as running Windows Defender and third-party anti-malware software together goes under Windows 8, I don't believe it is possible to do that: The Action Center should detect when third-party anti-malware software is being installed and deactivate Windows Defender so no conflicts occur from having two anti-malware solutions real-time components running together simultaneously and tripping over each other.

For more information about Microsoft Windows 8 security, you might find the following of interest: A white paper: Windows 8′s Security Features.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.