NOD32 and Windows 2003 Server

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by atinoco, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atinoco

atinoco Registered Member

Greetings, I', currently evaluating nod32 as a solution for a windows 2003 server we use for web hosting with the plesk 7.5.6 control panel.

I just installed nod32 trial to get rid of some viruses and backdoors i had on the server, we used the nod32 on demand scanner for this, and it worked very well.

After doing this i'm thinking about leaving nod32 enabled on the server as a real time file system scanner, nod32 looks like a desktop aplication though.

I was wondering, does nod32 run as a windows 2003 service (without an user logged into my machine), does its engine update by itself in the same way (without an user logged in)? is there any documentation available on windows 2003 server intallations?

Thanks in Advance

Andres

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Great news to hear . Welcome to Wilders ! :D

Yes , NOD32 updates itselft automatically. No , there are no special documentation for Win 2003 server because there is nothing special for it about servers . It is recommended , however , to keep IMON off when NOD32 is installed on servers

And about this question , please wait for an answer from a moderator
    I was wondering, does nod32 run as a windows 2003 service (without an user logged into my machine)

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

yes (NOD32 Kernel Service)
    yes

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

6. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Or to put it another way, most servers have a high volume of network traffic. IMON inserts itself at the Winsock level of the Windows networking stack. For the amount of network traffic that goes through a typical desktop computer, this is OK.

However, for a server, which often has heavy network traffic, this can pose a problem, because the sheer volume of network traffic may be too large for IMON to handle. This may not necessarily cause total system failure, but it may cause network applications to stop functioning properly. A non-functioning program is certainly *not* something you would want from a server.

Now, if you have a low volume server (like my company does), you may be able to get away with running IMON without having any problems. However, the official recommendation is to leave IMON disabled (to minimize the chance of programs crashing), and let AMON do all the realtime virus scanning (at the file level).

By the way, if you are running Microsoft Exchange, Eset has a separate module (XMON) to handle that.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It's the same installer for 2K/2Kp/XPh/XPp/2K3

It will automatically detect, upon installation, that you're installing on a server OS..and disable IMON by itself during setup.

8. atinoco

atinoco Registered Member

TY all for the quick responses, i got it up and running, I will let you guys know if i encounter any problems:

for the record, I got this reply via email for mthe nod32 people via email:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.