Nod32 and Win XP SP3

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Gas, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gas

Gas Registered Member

Has anyone using nod32 v.3 installed Win XP service pack 3?
    Did you have any problems?

The reason I am asking is from what I've read in another forum,Win XP SP3 install depends on batch files and VB scripts which are executed at the command line level e.g.
    (Startup RunOnce [TSClientMSIUninstaller] cmd.exe /C cscript %systemroot%\Installer\TSClientMsiTrans\tscuinst.vbs) and I was wondering if nod32 disables VB scripting as a way to protect us.

P.S. If this has been answered before please be kind enough to direct me to the appropriate post,I could not find a similar post through search.

Thank u

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

I have installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC2 on some computers and haven't seen problems with it and ESET NOD32 v3 . As far as I know ESET doesn't provide script disabling as way to protect users

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

It gets along find with the final release of SP3. I've tested in on about half a dozen systems so far.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I've installed 2 SP3 installs so far with no issues. I did my installs offline and temporarily disabled the real-time scanner portion of NOD32.

5. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

I've run NOD32 with XP SP3 from the release candidates up to the RTM final with no problems whatsoever.

6. Gas

Gas Registered Member

Thank you for the replies:)

7. eddweb

eddweb Registered Member

this is intresting to me, i am also haveing problems. working on the problem yesterday i found:

xp sp2 + ie7 + nod3.0 (be) = working
    xp sp2 + ie6 + nod3.0 (be)= working
    xp sp2 + ie7 + nod2.7 = working
    xp sp2 + ie6 + nod2.7 = working
    xp sp3 + ie7 + nod3.0 (be)= NOT working
    xp sp3 + ie6 + nod3.0 (be)= working
    xp sp3 + ie7 + nod2.7 = working
    xp sp3 + ie6 + nod2.7 = untested

this is done with a upgrade not a slipstream disk. (will try that later)
    i have tracked down the problem to nod3.0 as if i go into safe mode and disable the eset service i can the boot up and the system works.

when the system "crashes" its odd, it works for about 30 secs, then nothing can be loaded and nothing happens when you click (or right click), the mouse still moves and you can turn numlock ect on and off still so not a compleate crash. if you load task manager it is fine showing nothing unsual untill it stops and it comes up with not responding in the title bar so cant get any info from that as it locks before it shows you whats going on. another bit i found that effects it is if you load ie7 then it will case the "crash" to happen a lot faster if not the instent the program loads.

there are no toolbars installed on the system (i dont like them).
    comp is running a e4500 with 2gb of ram - so shouldnt have a problem

any help on this will be nice as have reverted to 2.7 for now, thanks

8. bathisland

bathisland Registered Member

Works fine here on XP SP3. Using Nod 3.0.650.0

9. guest

guest Guest

No problems at all here with german WinXP Pro SP2 and IE7 which was updated to SP3 (final RTM) more than a week ago. Nod32 v3.0.650.0 (english) is running fine as before.

10. chengcsw

chengcsw Registered Member

I have the same problem with SP3 and NOD32. Here are my settings:
    Windows XP Professional SP3 English
    NOD32 3.0.650.0
    NOD32 signature database: 3121 (20080522)

After the crash, I found that event viewer reported an error of "ekrn.exe" and therefore crashing the system:
    "Faulting application ekrn.exe, version 3.0.650.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0398b2c0."

I found that the only get around now (in my case) is
    1) Uninstall and reinstall NOD32 2.7
    2) Disable Real-time file system protection of NOD32 3.0

11. FauxMaven

FauxMaven Registered Member

NOD32 3.x was working fine on XP SP3 + IE 7 + Comodo Firewall until this morning. SP3 was installed from the MSDN ISO image of SP3 using the virtual cd control panel in late April.

This morning NOD32 identified the COMODO firewall as a trojan just at the same time that ekrn.exe crashed. It was necessary to boot into safe mode and disable the NOD32 kernel service to get control of the system. VERY disappointing.

The COMODO firewall false positive is also active in another thread.

12. hoya

hoya Registered Member

I am having the same issue but can't figure out if it's SP3 or the bad signature issue that was freezing computers last week. here is the description of my freeze:

Faulting application ekrn.exe, version 3.0.621.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00bcb2f0.

13. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

Doesn't really apply to the OP, but does to the Title, so here it is;

Nod 32 3.0.657 -- a PC has been trying to install XPSP3 for 2 weeks now. NOD32 has been preventing this. Microsoft recommends disabling antivirus when applying SP3. If I do this, it installs.

Filemon show Nod32 in a loop scanning %windir%\installer\*.* There are 1.1GB of MSI and MSP files in the directory. The CPU is 100% and is unusable/unresponsive.

I had this same problem on a few machines with Nod 2.7 and 2.5 with XP SP2 and Office 2003 SP2. My temporary fix was to exclude c:\windows\installer\*.* during the rollout then add it back. On some of these PC's the problem is that Windows Installer is not functioning correctly. The fix is below.

Question; since my machines can have Windows in c:\winnt, c:\windows, c:\winnt.1, d:\windowsvista and other places -- can I use %windir% in the exclusions? Thanks!

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  14. cphilips

cphilips Registered Member

I've been having exactly the same strange freeze as reported by eddweb for the past three weeks, which started after I updated (via Windows Update) XP SP2 to SP3. After ripping my machine apart and putting it back together over the past weeks, eddweb's freeze describes my own--a very unusual type of freeze with no blue screen and no evenvwr report.

I turned off automatic NOD32 updates for the past several days and had no freezes. Then I went into advanced settings and enabled just the antivirus updates, not hourly, but once per day at 4 pm. Today at 4:00:30 the computer froze. IE7 was loaded at the time, but I think that is not the crux of it. The NOD32 update was successful, but the system apparently froze as it "came out of" the update.

So I went back to the NOD 32 logs and checked each time I discovered my machine had frozen against the "successfully updated to version xxxx" log entries. In nearly every case my reboot followed a successful update (there were no 'unsuccessful' updates). Not always immediately, because often I would be away from the machine (on 7/24) and find it had frozen at some point while unattended. However many times it froze while I was working. In these cases, I can tally 6 of my reboots in eventvwr since 6/2 that occurred 4 minutes, 1 hour, 6 minutes, 17 minutes, 10 minutes, 45 minutes and 30 seconds after an update entry in the NOD32 logs. On days when my computer ran without a freeze for a couple of days I find those are the dates when NOD32 delivered no updates (6/3 to 6/5 and 6/8 to 6/11).

So, what to doo_Oo_O?

For now I'm turning off the scheduled antivirus updates (kinda defeats the purpose of an antivirus). I've been NOD32 for 5 years so I never suspected it would be the cause of this hard to diagnose problem, it's always been the perfect antivirus and I've talked it up for years. But now .... For the past two days when I had auto updates off I manually updated a couple of times and it didn't hang. Not sure what that means, but I will try to manually update and remember to about once per day, hoping it doesn't hang.

But I'm waiting for a real fix to this ... if I've missed another thread with a fix to this specific problem, please point me there!

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ cphilips

Something may have gone corrupted with the installation of Service Pack 3 or with the NOD32's installation. Something else in your Windows may have been corrupted and the SP installation corrupted it additionally.

If you format your hard drive and reinstall fresh Windows XP + SP3 after that + NOD32 + other programs/updates , I guess the problem will get fixed.
    However , if you don't wanna take step , you can try a few things , such as revert back to SP2 , reinstall NOD32 (either v2.7 or v3.0) , run sfc.exe to ensure everything's in place...

For the reinstallation of NOD32 , you can follow this procedure.
    1. Download fresh new version of ESET NOD32 (either 2.70.39 or 3.0.657) from
    http://www.eset.com/download . Make sure that you choose the correct version - home or business.

2. Uninstall your current version from Control Panel
    3. Reboot the computer when prompted
    4. Delete manually these folders:

for XP:
    - C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application data\Eset
    - C:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Local Settings\Application data\Eset

5. Reinstall your ESET software using the file you downloaded in step1 . Use typical install. :thumb:

To run sfc.exe , goto Start -> Run -> type sfc.exe /scannow , press ENTER and keep your Windows XP installation disk handy . Insert it if the system needs it.

Service Pack 3 can be uninstalled from Control Panel , as well.

Greetings!

16. dnapzter

dnapzter Registered Member

my issue with sp3 is not the same with yours..

when i install the OS, den nod v3, everything was running fine......

but when i run some games, the games was too slow and hung.. but still moves

as if im using a pentium 2 or 3

dunno what to do on this

i go back to sp2 and do the same and has no problem

then i switch back again to sp3, then the problem comes again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.