NOD32 and Symantec Security check

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by IT_matt, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IT_matt

IT_matt Registered Member

I do have a w2k protect by a Norton firewall 2003 and a freshly bought NOD32 AV. since i am new to this program i decided to test the general security of my system (before i used NAV) and...surprise! the symantec secuirty test is succesful for firewall side but warns me that no antivirus software is detected on my machine and therefore i am vulnerable. Did i do something wrong in installing the NOD32 or is just a mistake of the test?
    Please help! :rolleyes:

2. JPM

JPM Registered Member

I think you will find that it is the test run by Symantec. I believe it is just that the test does not recognize NOD32. However if you want to make sure NOD is installed correctly download the eicar test file and then try to copy it to another directory or some such and Amon should pop up a warning. Amon might not even let you save the download to disk actually :)

3. IT_matt

IT_matt Registered Member

hello, thanks for the hint . It seems that NOD32 detects the file .com and blocks it, but it cannot detect the 2 zipped files. but at least its a good start...
    i am still wondering why symantec test does not see the antivirus protection... :doubt:

4. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

That test as never detected any of the Avs I have had installed,I wonder if it should be a called a test "to see which Symantec product are installed" because it didn't detect Sygate firewall either.
    For Nod to detect zip files you need to configure it to do so by default it doesn't just go into set up for Amon,Imon and Nod scanner and tick the boxes for archives etc,I also have mine set for all file extensions(feeling of extra security:probably not really needed because not all files types can be dangerous)

5. JPM

JPM Registered Member

I would have to agree, the test is probably only looking for Symantec's products. Also as mentioned for NOD to detect the eicar test file in a .zip archive you have to select the option under the "Setup Tab" for NOD. Under "Objects to Diagnose" I have everything selected. Once you do this then scan the .zip files with NOD again and it should detect the eicar test file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.