NOD32 and Norton AV 2007

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by fosl, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fosl

fosl Registered Member

Hello,

I have been using NOD32 since March and am very happy with it. One question though. This computer I bought came with Norton AV 2007 already
    installed. I had all sorts of problems due to Norton. So when I decided to
    install NOD32 I had to download the Norton removal tool to uninstall Norton.
    I ran the uninstall to get rid of Norton and downloaded and installed NOD32.
    I noticed when I open the vista security center and click on Malware,
    it says NOD32 is updated and running. Then I click on show me installed
    anti viruses, and it lists NOD32 as ON and Norton 2007 as OFF. Im wondering
    why its still shows after I uninstalled it. I checked uninstall programs and Norton is not there. I also found a Norton folder and a Symantec folder with
    a bunch of stuff in both. Is it safe just to delete these two folders? And if I do, will security center stop showing Norton?

Thanks,
    Fosl

2. timh

timh Registered Member

The standard Norton Removal tool does not always uninstall and clean up everything from Symantec. You best bet is get a removal tool from Symantec Support. In the mean time it is safe to delete both folders. You may run into a problem with a few open dlls that were not removed correctly th e first time.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

Yes , as long as Norton is uninstalled , it is safe to delete these files that belong to it.

Read this post to see what is needed to remove Norton
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1064640&postcount=2

Re-run the Removal tool of Symantec

Perform the advise in the link below to do a repair of your Windows Management Instrument which "handles the Security Center status" , let's say it so. It refers to Eset Smart Security (ESS) but it is valid for NOD32 , too.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1064633&postcount=8

After a reboot , everything should be OK :thumb:

4. fosl

fosl Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall try them.

Fosl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.